"The system cannot find the path specified" reported creating the task RRS feed

• Question

• (I'm getting started with 2008 R2 Beta 2, but not sure if this issue is specific to the beta or not.)  I've installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 (not the HPC edition), and I have a single-node installation (no other compute nodes, just the head node).  I am running HPC Cluster Manager on the same machine (the head node).  I believe I took all the defaults when I installed HPC Pack.  I have gone through the initial configuration which seemed to work. 

When I create a simple single-task job either programmatically or from the HPC Cluster Manager, I get this error:  Error from node: <nodename>: Exception 'The system cannot find the path specified' reported creating the task.

Of course it doesn't specify which file.  It is not the task working directory, when that is wrong it gives a different error.  It is not the task executable path, I have tried multiple, they are simple (c:\bin\foo.exe) and they certainly exist on the head node.  I get this same error when I try to run diagnostics (Service Configuration Report, Services Running Test).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,

Sorry to hear you are having these issues.  To understand the problem, it would be helpful to know the following information.

First, to rule out a very simple cause, do you have a side-by-side install?  That is, is HPC Server 2008 installed on the system where you recently installed R2 Beta 2?  If so, please uninstall HPC Server 2008 before installing Beta 2.  We do not support side-by-side installations, and this may be causing the problem.

Second, could you please bring up the Command Prompt, and enter the command 'set CCP_' (no quotes).  We are interested in the values of all HPC environment variables, particularly CCP_HOME.  Could you please paste the results here?

Finally, it would be helpful to know the Windows Event Log entries for the Hpc Node Manager service running on your machine, since the error you describe appears to be coming from the Node Manager.  Could you please bring up the Event Viewer (Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer), and select Applicatons and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Hpc -> NodeManager -> Diagnostic Trace channel for the HPC Node Manager.  If there are any recent errors or warnings in that view, please copy and paste them here.  If not, you may need to enable the log by clicking "Enable Log" in the Actions panel on the right-hand side.  After that, please try to submit your single-task job and see if any errors appear in the log.

Thank you very much for your patience, and I hope we will be able to get to the root of the problem shortly.

Best regards,
    Leonid.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

Sorry to hear you are having these issues.  To understand the problem, it would be helpful to know the following information.

First, to rule out a very simple cause, do you have a side-by-side install?  That is, is HPC Server 2008 installed on the system where you recently installed R2 Beta 2?  If so, please uninstall HPC Server 2008 before installing Beta 2.  We do not support side-by-side installations, and this may be causing the problem.

Second, could you please bring up the Command Prompt, and enter the command 'set CCP_' (no quotes).  We are interested in the values of all HPC environment variables, particularly CCP_HOME.  Could you please paste the results here?

Finally, it would be helpful to know the Windows Event Log entries for the Hpc Node Manager service running on your machine, since the error you describe appears to be coming from the Node Manager.  Could you please bring up the Event Viewer (Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer), and select Applicatons and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Hpc -> NodeManager -> Diagnostic Trace channel for the HPC Node Manager.  If there are any recent errors or warnings in that view, please copy and paste them here.  If not, you may need to enable the log by clicking "Enable Log" in the Actions panel on the right-hand side.  After that, please try to submit your single-task job and see if any errors appear in the log.

Thank you very much for your patience, and I hope we will be able to get to the root of the problem shortly.

Best regards,
    Leonid.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:21 PM
  • Is this directory(c:\bin) accessible for other nodes? I had this error when i don't open directory with executables as share for network.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 3:16 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions, it is working now.  Between my post and your response I reverted to 2008 not-R2, and possibly did other system changes.  Then after your response I reinstalled HPC Pack 2008 R2.  This time before I installed 2008 R2 I also uninstalled Windows Report Viewer 2005.

I don't think I had 2008 and 2008 R2 installed side-by-side when I had this issue.  So I think the most likely cause was having Windows Report Viewer 2005 installed side-by-side with the 2008 version that HPC Pack 2008 R2 installs.  But I'm not entirely sure.

Friday, May 21, 2010 3:29 PM
  • This was a single-node installation, and I got the same error when running system diagnostics, so it appears the problem was not the task executable path.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 3:31 PM
  • HI!

We are testing the HPC 2008 R2 with HFSS and have the same problem with error:

The system cannot find the path specified.

The system consists of Head node (HPC-HeadNode) and two (2) compute nodes (HPC-CN01 nad HPC-CN02). The testing jobs goes thrue withot problems, but when we use the Submit HPC Job from Ansoft HFSS we get the error:

In output field:

The system cannot find the path specified.

In message field:

Task failed during execution with exit code 1. Please check task's output for error details.

Details | Command line:

"C:\Program Files\Ansoft\HFSS12\hfss.exe" -ng  -local -batchoptions " 'hfss/preferences/numberofprocessorsdistributed'=1 'hfss/preferences/numberofprocessors'=1" -batchsolve "\\HPC-HEADNODE\Temp\test\868 Helix v3_18.hfss"

CCP_ variables:

C:\Windows\system32>set CCP_
    CCP_DATA=C:\Program Files\Microsoft HPC Pack 2008 R2\Data\
    CCP_HOME=C:\Program Files\Microsoft HPC Pack 2008 R2\
    CCP_JOBTEMPLATE=Default
    CCP_SCHEDULER=HPC-HeadNode

C:\Windows\system32>

Event Viewer doesn't have HPC-NodeManager-Diagnostic Trace

What could be wrong?

Thanks,

Uros.

UrosL
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 6:02 PM
  • I also have that problem

Without directories or any other files which could be needed we also get that error. Even we just use as simple command as "dir" or "echo 123" we get the same error. That error also seems to be unlogic for me. How could it be "The system cannot find the path specified" if there is no path needed?

I have those environment variables:

C:\Users\Administrator>set CCP
    CCP_DATA=C:\Program Files\Microsoft HPC Pack 2008 R2\Data\
    CCP_HOME=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Compute Cluster Pack\
    CCP_INC=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Compute Cluster Pack\Include\
    CCP_JOBTEMPLATE=Default
    CCP_LIB32=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Compute Cluster Pack\Lib\i386\
    CCP_LIB64=C:\Program Files\Microsoft Compute Cluster Pack\Lib\amd64\
    CCP_SCHEDULER=head

I also don't have HPC-NodeManager-Diagnostic Trace in the Event-Viewer.

I use the HPC Trail Edition of Windows 2008 Server.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:02 PM
  • Sir i have a problem. tomorrow i have to submit a small project. im trying to install windows hpc server 2008 on a virtualbox which has server2008 on it. i created an active directory domain. the problem is when i want to setup the hpc, an error message appears. says that "the required file eula_enu.rtf could not be loaded. Microsoft hpc pack 2008 r2 setup cannot continue. the system cannot find the path specified."

this appears when i click next after i choose installation edition (HPC pack 2008 r2 enterprise ans HPC pack 2008 r2 for cycle harvesting.

i want to know what to do. please answer me as soon as possible. 

thank you 

Ali

Saturday, December 3, 2016 6:20 PM