PP2 not installing (on v6.0.1800) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, I read the FAQ on installing PP2 and verified that when looking at the resources page, I have PP1 installed and it shows all version info at 6.0.1800.0.

I have auto update turned on and have tried to update manually.

Any idea how to get my WHS version to see PP2 or where I can download the files?

Best,

Ippie21
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:35 AM

All replies

• Does your WHS have a properly working Internet connection?
    Would it pull other updates, if you run Windows Update manually from within Internet Explorer?

If the Internet connection is not the reason and Windows Update is reachable by normal means, the fastest way may be to try a server reinstall.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:55 AM
  • Yes the server does have internet. I just applied other updates, yet none were for PP2.

Guess I could do a reinstall. Yet would prefer not to.

-Ippie21
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Did you at any time try to promote the server to a domain controller? Or did the initial installation throw some error messages or never complete properly, so that WHS thinks from itself as native Windows Server 2003 if it comes to Windows Update.
    Olaf
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:11 PM
  • Did you install PP1 manually or through Wimndows Update?
    Any issues/errors then?

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:24 PM
  • If Windows Home Server was not already installed with integrated Power Pack 1, it may be worth a try to uninstall PP1 through Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs and attempt to get it updated after that again via the Update button in the console.
    Olaf
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:40 PM
  • Been a while since I did the initial install but did remember getting errors after the initial installation as a result of it not installing completely.

I installed PP1 manually. I also removed it and reinstalled it manually again. But it still does download PP2.

Is it not possible to download PP2 manually as with PP1?

-Ippie21

Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Well...
    Then it is possible that WHS was not installed properly and the OS is still reporting as Windows 2003 Server. This would explain why Windows Update does not show PP2 (or PP1 or any other important updates for WHS). Maybe you can check by loggin in to the WHS desktop bij RDP. Then click Start->Run, type "winver"<enter>; Does it state "Windows Home Server"?

I think the only way out if this is a "re-install" of your server.
    Maybe Olaf can comment on this?

- Theo.
    No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:44 PM
  • In the described situation I also would not see another reliable method than a server reinstall.
    Power Pack 2 is not available as separate downloadable package, and I have no idea, which key in the registry may be missing or wrong.
    Olaf
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:58 PM
  • Thanks Olaf.

Can I just reinstall over my resisting install, or do I need to reformat and start fresh?

Will all of my stored data on the other hard drives just appear when I reinstall?

Best,
    Ippie21
    Monday, August 17, 2009 1:51 AM
  • Thanks Olaf.

Can I just reinstall over my resisting install, or do I need to reformat and start fresh?

Will all of my stored data on the other hard drives just appear when I reinstall?

Best,
    Ippie21
    You can do a Server Reinstallation.  It wipes the OS partition, but leaves your data alone.  See the FAQ post:  How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS? for details.  (Even though that is not your situation, the steps in that post are the same.)
    Monday, August 17, 2009 1:59 AM