Core 2 Duo
    E7400 CPU 2.8GHz
    4GB RAM
    ASUS MBForgot the Model Number 

Symptoms:
    Verifying your Web site is accessible from the Internet and Intranet

Before Power Pack 3
    Intranet website worked
    Internetwebsite  access never.  Blocked by Cisco ASA5505 Ver. 7.2 (4)

After PP 3
    Intranet website did not work
    Internet website did not work

Had some one knowledgeable to get the Internet to work by opening ports in the firewall for the WHS.  Wow.  Really cool for two days then stopped working.  So I think the firewall is setup correctly since it did work momentarily.

ASA5505 had only 10 hosts allowed but upgraded to 50 and thought that was an issue.  It was in a grander sense.

Rebooted everything still no website access.

WHS resides on a Small business network
    Set the ip to be static on WHS server
    Assigned one of the public static IP assigned I have to website internally
    Gateway same as every other system on the network
    DNS is pointing to SBS2003R2
    DHCP is handled by the small business server.
    Can access the system via logmein.

I have gone to the WHS IIS and browsed the default website and it does appear correctly.  It is tru for the WHS site as well.  So the websites are working within IIS. 

I am at a loss.  Any ideas.
    Portion of Firewall configuration: ( do not profess to be an expert in this area and is why I had someone else work on it.  But they are unfamiliar with WHS.  So it was a little blind leading the blind.  However, I was accessing from the Internet for a couple of days as I said.)
    nat-control
    global (outside) 1 interface
    nat (inside) 0 access-list 101
    nat (inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
    static (inside,outside) tcp interface smtp 192.168.0.198 smtp netmask 255.255.255.255
    static (inside,outside) tcp interface 3389 192.168.0.198 3389 netmask 255.255.255.255
    static (inside,outside) tcp interface www 192.168.0.198 www netmask 255.255.255.255
    static (inside,outside) tcp interface https 192.168.0.198 https netmask 255.255.255.255
    static (inside,outside) tcp interface domain 192.168.0.198 domain netmask 255.255.255.255
    static (inside,outside) udp interface domain 192.168.0.198 domain netmask 255.255.255.255
    static (inside,outside) tcp interface pop3 192.168.0.198 pop3 netmask 255.255.255.255
    static (inside,outside) tcp interface telnet 192.168.0.198 telnet netmask 255.255.255.255
    static (inside,outside) 75.150.205.81 192.168.0.25 netmask 255.255.255.255
    static (inside,outside) 75.150.205.82 192.168.0.198 netmask 255.255.255.255
    access-group outside_access_in in interface outside
    route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 75.150.205.86 1
    timeout xlate 3:00:00
    timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 icmp 0:00:02
    timeout sunrpc 0:10:00 h323 0:05:00 h225 1:00:00 mgcp 0:05:00 mgcp-pat 0:05:00
    timeout sip 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00 sip-invite 0:03:00 sip-disconnect 0:02:00
    timeout sip-provisional-media 0:02:00 uauth 0:05:00 absolute

I have reviewed troubleshooting:
    Ensure your home server is connected to an active Internet connection.  WORKING

Click Settings, Remote Access on the Windows Home Server console, and then check that your broadband router is connected and configured correctly. NOT SURE

Contact your ISP about upgrading to an Internet service plan that allows you to use a Web server at home. BUSINESS CLASS WITH 5 STATIC IPs.

If IIS is not running, restart your home server. EXECUTED. SUCCESSFULLY BROWSED THE SITES FROM IIS.

Click Settings, Remote Access on the Windows Home Server console, and then turn off Web Site Connectivity. Turn it back on, and try again.  EXECUTED NUMEROUS TIMES.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Karl
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Karl,
    if you say, it worked before Power Pack 3 installation, I would try to uninstall Power Pack 3 and see, if this makes the website work again (since the PP installation creates a backup of these folders, which will restored during an uninstall). If this makes the system work again, install Power Pack 3 again and check once more. Sometimes things are going wrong during an upgrade, and sometimes those things can be reproduced, sometimes not.
    At least local access via http://yourserverlocalname should work, as well as access via http://yourserverlocalname:55000.

External web access can sometimes only be checked from outside of your home, i.e. if the router does not support loopback (from internal network via Internet to internal network).
    3 ports should be forwarded to the servers current internal IP address: 80, 443 and 4125. All the other stuff you have configured here is neither supported or recommended on WHS.
    Directly assigning public IPs to a website internally makes no sense, since this is not like WHS is intended to work (you can eventually use that IP for testing directly or by assigning a separate domain name, but always on the outer side of the router and forwarding this address to the mentioned ports of WHS). If you use the homeserver.com domain, a ping should respond with the external IP address of your router.

Please check also for typos in the static IP configuration, like a wrong subnet mask or a wrong DNS server. Can the WHS access the Internet, i.e. for Windows Update?

If this all does not help, I would recommend to reinstall the server to get rid of possibly introduced misconfigurations.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:45 PM
  • Hi Karl,
    you are right, reading this amount of stuff is not that easy, especially around midnight ;-)
    Before you are going the reinstall track, with a spare PC or a virtual system you could try a fresh install and see, if this works from the scratch (while the current WHS is powered off).
    It could also be, that the Cisco router behaves different than any of the home routers and may need its own manual configuration changes by its administrator.

A reinstall has it's culprits, especially on self built systems. Often it happens, that the reinstall is not offered if booting from the DVD, or you run into problems, that you need to provide the native SATA controller drivers 2 times (one time on a floppy) if the controller is not running in IDE mode. Sometimes also not all disks are detected anyway and a server reinstall may fail (if it not fails it often takes a long time for rebuilding the tombstones).

In case of a server reinstall is becoming the necessary scenario, the following FAQs may be interesting:
    FAQ: How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS?
    How to recover data after server failure
    The domain is bound to the Live ID - as long as you use the same ID, it will be offered again for configuration.

Olaf
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Karl,
    if you say, it worked before Power Pack 3 installation, I would try to uninstall Power Pack 3 and see, if this makes the website work again (since the PP installation creates a backup of these folders, which will restored during an uninstall). If this makes the system work again, install Power Pack 3 again and check once more. Sometimes things are going wrong during an upgrade, and sometimes those things can be reproduced, sometimes not.
    At least local access via http://yourserverlocalname should work, as well as access via http://yourserverlocalname:55000.

External web access can sometimes only be checked from outside of your home, i.e. if the router does not support loopback (from internal network via Internet to internal network).
    3 ports should be forwarded to the servers current internal IP address: 80, 443 and 4125. All the other stuff you have configured here is neither supported or recommended on WHS.
    Directly assigning public IPs to a website internally makes no sense, since this is not like WHS is intended to work (you can eventually use that IP for testing directly or by assigning a separate domain name, but always on the outer side of the router and forwarding this address to the mentioned ports of WHS). If you use the homeserver.com domain, a ping should respond with the external IP address of your router.

Please check also for typos in the static IP configuration, like a wrong subnet mask or a wrong DNS server. Can the WHS access the Internet, i.e. for Windows Update?

If this all does not help, I would recommend to reinstall the server to get rid of possibly introduced misconfigurations.

Olaf
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:45 PM
  • Olaf

Thanks for your time.  I gave a lot of detail and I realize that it takes effort to review and absorb all the information and try to deduce if there are any missing elements.

Questions: 
    1. I have no problem reinstalling if that is what it takes to make it right.  Too oftern it is the shortest distance to a solution.  Is there a document on how to reinstall the WHS while retaining shared content?  Or is it simply store on external hard drive and then transfer back when finished.
    2.  The domain name can remain the same correct?  I will just have to use my credentials to use the existing domain name.

Thanks again.

Karl
    Karl
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:05 PM
  • Hi Karl,
    you are right, reading this amount of stuff is not that easy, especially around midnight ;-)
    Before you are going the reinstall track, with a spare PC or a virtual system you could try a fresh install and see, if this works from the scratch (while the current WHS is powered off).
    It could also be, that the Cisco router behaves different than any of the home routers and may need its own manual configuration changes by its administrator.

A reinstall has it's culprits, especially on self built systems. Often it happens, that the reinstall is not offered if booting from the DVD, or you run into problems, that you need to provide the native SATA controller drivers 2 times (one time on a floppy) if the controller is not running in IDE mode. Sometimes also not all disks are detected anyway and a server reinstall may fail (if it not fails it often takes a long time for rebuilding the tombstones).

In case of a server reinstall is becoming the necessary scenario, the following FAQs may be interesting:
    FAQ: How do I upgrade from the evaluation/trial to a full copy of WHS?
    How to recover data after server failure
    The domain is bound to the Live ID - as long as you use the same ID, it will be offered again for configuration.

Olaf
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:19 PM