Already in Use RRS feed

• Question

• I just had a general question (that has been resolved by calling the phone activation):

I installed a new motherboard and I was required to activate again. Upon entering my key, it says that it is already in use. Calling support and getting an installation ID did the trick, but I am afraid that one day I may not be able to reactivate my product.

I am under the impression that with Vista Ultimate (Retail) you can reinstall it on different hardware as long as you are only using it once. When it gives me this message, could someone actually be using my key, or does it think that my old hardware is another PC using it. Basically, what I am saying is, is it possible someone has my key, and is it possible that one day I may not be able to reactivate?

Thanks,

Mark

Thursday, March 8, 2007 12:30 AM

Answers

• We were hoping you'd click "Next", but it looks like the other button is more inviting.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 1:45 AM

All replies

• That's actually the message you get when you click on the wrong button while trying to activate.  This is a user interface issue that we'll be changing soon--your key is most likely fine.  Thanks for letting us know!
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 12:43 AM
  • Which button am I supposed to click?
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 1:39 AM
  • We were hoping you'd click "Next", but it looks like the other button is more inviting.
    Thursday, March 8, 2007 1:45 AM
  • What other buttons are available?! I was pretty sure I clicked on "Next."

Unless it was the one that said "Nude Woman Here."

I might've clicked that one.

Thursday, March 8, 2007 1:49 AM
  • Hahaha.... you just made my day.  Maybe we should change the "Next" button to "Nude Woman Here".  The other option is actually "Activate Windows online now". 

Thursday, March 8, 2007 6:29 PM
  • Thanks a lot ;)

I'll probably try to reinstall it just to see if the same thing happens. What is next for then?

O_O

Thursday, March 8, 2007 8:02 PM