Compatibility with Small Business Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi there,

I'm looking to purchase a WHS to use it as a separate Network Attached Storage as well as taking advantage of some of the functionality that it offers. Does anybody know if it WHS will co-exist with Small Business Server 2003? I figure the main conflict might be in respect to the logons (which are derived out of the SB Server), and thus the ability for them to be used on the WHS configuration, but am not sure how this is governed (i.e. is the WHS logon credentials set up on the server, or via the network?).

Any help or ideas would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:41 AM

Answers

• WHS is intended for use as a home server, not a small business server. As such, it cannot be joined to an Active Directory domain as a member server, and promoting it to a domain controller may break other functionality. Users on WHS are created locally. Also, WHS has a hard limit of 10 users and 10 client PCs. This limit can't be expanded with additional client licenses.

However, it will peacefully coexist alongside an AD domain, as long as it's not joined to that domain. You'll be able to back up PCs in the domain, too, and access files stored on the server.
    Monday, September 10, 2007 12:05 PM