Restoring full image: target laptop does not load the specific HD drivers from the USB stick? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have a crashed Toshiba Portege M400, that ran Vista Enterprise. Wanted to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate on it, but due to the very specific HD drivers of the M400 SATA-RAID controller, you need to load them seperately before doing the Vista install, format the drive (went OK) but after that the DVD drive is disabled, and one cannot further continue the clean install of Ultimate (error message is 'Windows Setup could not reinitialize the deployment engine. To install windows, restart the installation.')! Result: you have an empty HD! The next time you load the drivers the HD is there for its full size, but I get into the loop where the DVD drive is rendered inactive by loading the HD drivers. A thought here has been to include the DVD drivers alongside with the HD drivers, but for that I must restore my previous image, since I have no clue on what these drivers are....

So I figured to restore the Vista Enterprise image from the WHS I run at home: should be a snap (I do not have the original recovery CD for the M400, BTW). Inserted the Restore CD, and at the correct time I also insert the USB stick loaded with the additional drivers that are needed for the SATA-RAID controller and that come from one of the latest backups: the restore process sees the drivers, but doesn't install them: I do not receive additional HDs in my drive overview: only the USB drive and the DVD drive are there, and I cannot restore my 55 or so GBytes...

So is there a way to force the drivers to load so that the HD of the M400 is active and alive, in order to copy the image back?

Any other way around this?

The alternative would be a solution for the Vista Ultimate clean install (which is the Ultimate goal [sic]), but I understand that is not the purpose of this forum....

So if I could get my Vista Enterprise image back on the M400, that would already be a good start....

Thx

Luc

Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:10 AM

Answers

• As a practical matter, can you connect the drive from the laptop to another computer joined to your server, and run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe? That will obviate the need for particular storage drivers (I suspect that your drive is not formatted for RAID, no matter what the driver implies). The main thing that could be an issue is if the drive originally had a recovery or system tools partition; these will sometimes cause a probglem with boot order.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hi Olaf, Ken,

The suggested approach worked 100% OK: I was able to restore the M400 image on the M400 SATA drive via putting it in the HP Pavillon drive bay and using ClientRestoreWizard.exe. It booted up OK after putting back the SATA drive in the M400.

Back in business!

Thx again!

Luc
    • Marked as answer by lucsch Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:32 PM
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Luc,
    you will need Vista 32 Bit drivers, unpacked, for the recovery disk environment.
    These can come from the maker of the laptop or for the maker of the chipset (Intel?)
    There are a lot of "M400" models, so I cannot point you much further to the correct drivers. Maybe these.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:49 AM
  • As a practical matter, can you connect the drive from the laptop to another computer joined to your server, and run C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe? That will obviate the need for particular storage drivers (I suspect that your drive is not formatted for RAID, no matter what the driver implies). The main thing that could be an issue is if the drive originally had a recovery or system tools partition; these will sometimes cause a probglem with boot order.
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hi Ken,

That will be a long shot, but it will be one: ultimately I will try that route, but need to get my hands on another M400 then and an extra drive bay: not so easy...

Will first try Olaf's suggestion and get my hands on some drivers: I have them all from the backup (in \Windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository), but picking out the correct ones is a hassle: will be trial and error...

Thx anyway for the hint!

Rgds

Luc

Monday, January 5, 2009 11:26 PM
  • lucsch said:

That will be a long shot, but it will be one: ultimately I will try that route, but need to get my hands on another M400 then and an extra drive bay: not so easy...

Why would you need another laptop? You remove the drive from the laptop it's in now, connect it to another computer that's been joined to your server, and restore. Or are you saying that you have only a single computer, the laptop?

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:25 AM
  • Hi Luc,
    the method, Ken advised, is also outlined more in detail in this FAQ.
    It's not that complicated, although it depends from the interface of the disk. A 2.5" SATA disk can be attached to any normal SATA controller/SATA Power connector, while for an IDE drive you would need a special adaptor to connect it to a normal PC.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:48 AM
  • You can obtain a device which will allow you to connect any standard bare drive to a computer as an external USB drive for about $20-$30. You won't be able to connect a 1.8" IDE laptop drive, but you will be able to connect 2.5" and 3.5" IDE, and SATA.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:04 PM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Hi Luc,
    the method, Ken advised, is also outlined more in detail in this FAQ.
    It's not that complicated, although it depends from the interface of the disk. A 2.5" SATA disk can be attached to any normal SATA controller/SATA Power connector, while for an IDE drive you would need a special adaptor to connect it to a normal PC.
    Olaf

Hi Olaf,

Good hint! I have a HP Pavillon laptop too with a double SATA drive bay, where I can remove the data HD and insert the Tosh M400 SATA drive instead. That together with the C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe utility should do the trick then....

Don't have access to the HP laptop right now, but will let you guys know what the outcome is later on...

Thx again,

Luc
    • Marked as answer by lucsch Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:29 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by lucsch Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:29 PM
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Hi Olaf, Ken,

The suggested approach worked 100% OK: I was able to restore the M400 image on the M400 SATA drive via putting it in the HP Pavillon drive bay and using ClientRestoreWizard.exe. It booted up OK after putting back the SATA drive in the M400.

Back in business!

Thx again!

Luc
    • Marked as answer by lucsch Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:32 PM
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:32 PM
  • Hi Luc,
    thanks for reporting back.
    (Btw: You should ideally mark the answers within the thread, which did show the solution to help other users to find the answers in text easier and to credit the answerers.)
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:45 PM