Home Server Duplicate Computer Names RRS feed

• Question

• I have duplicate computer names in the left hand column of the Window Home Server Console.  This arised from a re-install of a backup after a hard drive swap.  I have the first duplicate instance of each name tuned off so the name is grayed out.  How can I safely remove the duplicate (turned off) computer name from the list without deleting the active computer (which is I'm afraid will happen).

Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:37 PM

Answers

• I have duplicate computer names in the left hand column of the Window Home Server Console.  This arised from a re-install of a backup after a hard drive swap.  I have the first duplicate instance of each name tuned off so the name is grayed out.

Grayed out has nothing to do with turning off backups.  A computer is grayed out when it's not powered on.

How can I safely remove the duplicate (turned off) computer name from the list without deleting the active computer (which is I'm afraid will happen).
    The best way to make sure you keep the current one is to have it turned on (so the computer icon isn't grayed out), then remove the other one (the one that is grayed out) from the Console.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:38 PM