6 computer home RRS feed

• Question

• I have 6 computers at home. The Add a PC to your OneCare circle says I can add 3 PC to a OneCare Circle. Do I have to have two separate OneCare Circles or is 3 just the number of licenses in one package and if I buy two packages when V2.0 releases I can have a 6 PC circle?

Bill Walter

Saturday, September 8, 2007 4:03 PM

Answers

• I've asked this question in another post (I've got 4 pcs) and it seems that it will be a possability.

Tom

Saturday, September 8, 2007 6:16 PM

All replies

• To start with Windows Live Onecare 2.0 is still at its beta phase, and for WLOC 1.6 each package can only deal with 3 system ( PC ) since you have 6 PC you will need 2 package for WLOC 1:3 scenario

Saturday, September 8, 2007 5:44 PM
  • I've asked this question in another post (I've got 4 pcs) and it seems that it will be a possability.

Tom

Saturday, September 8, 2007 6:16 PM
  • As Tom replied, there appears to be a possibility that subscriptions for more than 3 PCs will be available in the future, based on a reply earlier in the beta. At this time, though, a circle is tied to a Liveid, which is tied to a subscription, which currently is limited to 3 computers on a LiveID.

-steve

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:16 PM
  •  

I also have 4 computers registered in my Circle without a problem.

Will there be a way of adding computers at an increased rate after the first 3?

Friday, September 14, 2007 1:48 PM
  •  Steven_C_Wong wrote:

Will there be a way of adding computers at an increased rate after the first 3?

That's what the team indicated during the public beta chat some weeks back. No indication of when, but I believe the answer was "stay tuned."

-steve

Friday, September 14, 2007 6:43 PM
  •  

"At this time, though, a circle is tied to a Liveid, which is tied to a subscription, which currently is limited to 3 computers on a LiveID."

I have a single LiveID with two subscriptions registered and six systems activated OK (all running WLOC 1.6). I'm about to add another three systems. There is no way that I would want to have three LiveID's / e-mail addresses to monitor / passwords to remember. This is a back-end accounting issue, and should not be allowed to affect how the software behaves - especially as an artificial limit on the size of a circle.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 1:15 AM
  • here is a picutre of my home netwok if that help you guys see what home networks are starting to look like

3 notebooks, 2 media center pc's, and an xbox 360...with some other networked devices...

http://stevencwong.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!4320F28E64229E18!361.entry

cheers

S.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 1:36 AM
  • Here's my setup:

Location 1: File / print server (XP, WLOC 1.6); Linksys Wireless-G router; TiVo

Location 2: File / print / video server (Vista, WLOC 2.0); Linksys Wireless-G router; 3 * TiVo; very old laptop (XP)

Mobile: 3 * old laptop (XP, WLOC 1.6); 3 * new laptop (Vista, WLOC 2.0)

Notes:

Location 1 and Location 2 are connected by a VPN running Linksys-Linksys, so that the two networks appear as one.

Linksys upgraded to DD-WRT software; TiVo's (DirecTV) upgraded to allow networking, MRV, and web access. All non-standard software was installed using easy-to-follow instructions (I make this point to show that any of your users could have interesting wrinkles on their networks).

3 new Vista laptops will replace the 3 old XP laptops. The latter will be re-installed from scratch, and will probably not have WLOC re-installed.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 8:19 PM
  • Indeed, more and more people have multiple computers beyond the three that OneCare is licensed for per subscription. I am hopeful that we will see the capability alluded to in a recent discussion when someone asked about more than 3 computers per subscription. I'm assuming that the foundation is the backend that supports multi-pc management and that it will require a billing/marketing/subscription change to allow the purchase of additional licenses under the same LiveID.

I've got 7 physical computers active in my house and several virtual PCs. If I were to revive some of the older hardware, I'd have another 3 physical boxes, so I know what you mean.

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 7:05 PM