From 470 to 485 ...... RRS feed

• Question

• I've just recieved my 485 today. I currently have my 470 hooked up.  What's the easiest way to migrate? Anyone have a
    laundry list of things to do?
    Friday, July 10, 2009 6:41 PM

Answers

• Create users. Copy files. That was easy. :)

Really, though, those are the basics. Your specific environment will dictate any additional steps that you might have to take:
    • Do you have add-ins whose settings will need to be migrated?
    • Have you customized your server through Remote Desktop sessions?
    • Do you have other devices making use of the media streaming features?
    • You could follow the procedures laid out in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief to back up your backup database from your old server, and restore it onto your new server. I wouldn't do so myself, but I consider the backup database pretty much sacrificial in the event of a server failure.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 10, 2009 8:23 PM

All replies

• Create users. Copy files. That was easy. :)

Really, though, those are the basics. Your specific environment will dictate any additional steps that you might have to take:
    • Do you have add-ins whose settings will need to be migrated?
    • Have you customized your server through Remote Desktop sessions?
    • Do you have other devices making use of the media streaming features?
    • You could follow the procedures laid out in the Home Computer Backup and Restore technical brief to back up your backup database from your old server, and restore it onto your new server. I wouldn't do so myself, but I consider the backup database pretty much sacrificial in the event of a server failure.

Friday, July 10, 2009 8:23 PM
  • But what is the easiest way to move data from an EX47 to an EX 48?  Can you plug in an external hardrive in the front of the EX47 and put it on that and then from there plug the external to the EX48?
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:49 PM
  • There are no tools in Windows Home Server to facilitate a migration from one server to another. You will have to manage the copying of data from server to server yourself, using whatever tools and techniques you're most comfortable of familiar with. Personally, I'd connect a drive to the old server, copy shares onto it, disconnect and move the drive to the new server, copy into shares, etc. That requires using a remote desktop connection to each server in turn, which is an unsupported access method. You can also just have both running and configured at once, and copy from share to share using a client computer.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:00 PM
  • You mean both 47 and 48 servers running on the same network for this purpose? 
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:35 PM
  • That's what I said:

"... You can also just have both running and configured at once ..."

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:01 PM
  • There are no tools in Windows Home Server to facilitate a migration from one server to another. You will have to manage the copying of data from server to server yourself, using whatever tools and techniques you're most comfortable of familiar with. Personally, I'd connect a drive to the old server, copy shares onto it, disconnect and move the drive to the new server, copy into shares, etc. That requires using a remote desktop connection to each server in turn, which is an unsupported access method. You can also just have both running and configured at once, and copy from share to share using a client computer.

Or you could use the backup tool with WHS to backup from your old server, then restore to your new one.
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:48 PM