WHS Installation - everything works except the wizard and connector RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have installed the 120 day trial to see if it works before purchase the OEM Disk.

I have run the troubleshooter, initially had a lot of problems, but ater disabling the firewall and auto detect settings in IE, I get the all clear.

Now, I cannot complete the wizard a startup, nor will the connector run on remote PCs.

I can RDP to the machine, I can log on using web browswer, even from outside he LAN. 

Any ideas would be sure appeciated...

The install is 32 bit, remote machines re Vista 32 & 64.

I need to connect to the machine using RDP as the connecto doesn't work.  With a bit of hassle I could connect direct to the machine if need be as it is connected to a display. 

Router is Linksys WRT54G.  Autoo configured by WHS, uPNP enabled.

The console works when logged on using RDP.

Thanks

M

Saturday, October 3, 2009 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hi

I have installed the 120 day trial to see if it works before purchase the OEM Disk.

I have run the troubleshooter, initially had a lot of problems, but ater disabling the firewall and auto detect settings in IE, I get the all clear.

Now, I cannot complete the wizard a startup, nor will the connector run on remote PCs.

I can RDP to the machine, I can log on using web browswer, even from outside he LAN. 

Any ideas would be sure appeciated...

The install is 32 bit, remote machines re Vista 32 & 64.

I need to connect to the machine using RDP as the connecto doesn't work.  With a bit of hassle I could connect direct to the machine if need be as it is connected to a display. 

Router is Linksys WRT54G.  Autoo configured by WHS, uPNP enabled.

The console works when logged on using RDP.

Thanks

M

Were you able to at least install the Connector software on your clients?  If so, what happens when you try to open the WHS Console from a client?  If you get an error message, exactly what does it say?
    Saturday, October 3, 2009 7:47 PM
  • No I cannot install the client on either Vista 32 or 64.

Going through the install

=> Locating server
    => Download updates automatically
    => Wake up computers from hibernate

then

"An unknown network error has occurred"

On the server I do not get any errors if I run the connector troubleshooter

On the client I get two errors:

1. The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server
    2. Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site

The connector software is from the server /software folder so it should be the correct one.

PS Thanks for the very prompt response.

M.

Saturday, October 3, 2009 8:53 PM
  • No I cannot install the client on either Vista 32 or 64.

Going through the install

=> Locating server
    => Download updates automatically
    => Wake up computers from hibernate

then

"An unknown network error has occurred"

On the server I do not get any errors if I run the connector troubleshooter

On the client I get two errors:

1. The version of the Connector software does not match the version of Windows Home Server
    2. Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site

The connector software is from the server /software folder so it should be the correct one.

PS Thanks for the very prompt response.

M.

Can you logon to the server desktop, open the Console from there (using the shortcut on the desktop), then post the component numbers here (Settings button, Resources tab)?  Also, did you rename/move/delete the Home Server Connector Software folder?  (It must be at \\[servername]\software\home server connector software.)  And what are the dates and times for WHSConnector.msi and WHSConnector_x64.msi inside that folder?  Finally, have you installed any add-ins or applications on your server?
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Hi

I have it sort of running.  On the client, i stop the service at the end per other posted forum solutions, that actually works. 

I think different passwords for the same username may be causing conflicts, investigating that.

The main problem seems to be the whsoobe.exe on the server, I've disabled that for the time being.

Will get the information you request tommorrow...thanks for your support.
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Disabled the windows firewall on the server and removed autodetect settings from server and clien IE's and all working well now...
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 1:02 AM