WHS and Outlook PST files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks;

I experienced problems with file corruption messages (in the event manager) on my Acer WHS system ( 2 x 750 GB, 2 x 1 TB). However, files were stell accessible. When I dived into the matter (internet)  I learned that having the Outlook PST files on the server may be (part of) the cause. This is a real bummer, for having Outlook PST files on the server was on of the reasons I purchased the server in the first place.

I have removed the PST files, performed a chkdsk on all drives as described elsewhere on this forum, ran a small program on the server that tests invalid file handles by trying to open each and every file in the shares. Fortunately, no problems. Removed all events in the event manager.

However: since this problem with PST files has been known for some time already, I wonder if there are any solutions yet. Or good and reliable alternatives.

Anyone able to answer this?

Greetings,

Thymen
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:23 AM

Answers

• Storing a .pst file on a network share is known to cause corruption. This is not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when", and it's not a problem unique to Windows Home Server. See e.g. this Knowledgebase article . The only supported solution is to leave your email on your server somehow. Either access it through IMAP/POP3 configured to leave it on the server until deleted, or use a hosted Exchange solution.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:36 PM
  • ah well, I guess it will get quite complicated to get things done the way I would like. I know there are very good reasons why it does not work with pst files on the server, but I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed. As I stated before, I bought WHS system for centralized storage & backup, including email.....

I will leave things the way I have it now: pst files on a client pc (workstation), with client backed up to server on a regular interval. Access to pst from other pc's... forget about it.

Thymen
    • Marked as answer by Thymen Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:02 PM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:02 PM

All replies

• Thymen

I assume leaving them on your client pc(s) is not an option then?

I have several pst files (archives) that get backed up each night with no problem from various client pc's which works fine and have had no problems restoring them on system rebuild or after finger trouble :)

Tim
    2 pata, 4 sata, 4.4tb storage, 2gig ram - home bake system
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:43 AM
  • Spider10;

that's what I am doing now as well, if I understand you correctly. I put the pst files on the client PC now, and they get backed up every time this client gets backed up, so that's not an issue.

The issue is, that I would like to acces the pst files through Outlook from more then one client. So, when I use my laptop, workstation or any other client, I will have access to the same pst file. Isn't this what a server is supposed to be able to do? Also I like backing up the pst files to another (external) disk through automated backing up of the shares.

I understand that there are issues concerning file corruption here, because somehow the WHS file system cannot deal with some kinds of database files. Quite complicated matter, not easily solved and perhap MS never will. But I wonder if there are any alternative solutions yet other then what I have now...

Thymen
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Storing a .pst file on a network share is known to cause corruption. This is not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when", and it's not a problem unique to Windows Home Server. See e.g. this Knowledgebase article . The only supported solution is to leave your email on your server somehow. Either access it through IMAP/POP3 configured to leave it on the server until deleted, or use a hosted Exchange solution.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:36 PM
  • ah well, I guess it will get quite complicated to get things done the way I would like. I know there are very good reasons why it does not work with pst files on the server, but I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed. As I stated before, I bought WHS system for centralized storage & backup, including email.....

I will leave things the way I have it now: pst files on a client pc (workstation), with client backed up to server on a regular interval. Access to pst from other pc's... forget about it.

Thymen
    • Marked as answer by Thymen Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:02 PM
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:02 PM