MS Office 2007 (Word) problem caused by Windows Live OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the trial version of Windows Live OneCare on my computer running XP. Since then I've had nothing but trouble with my MS Office 2007. All it does is 'scan for virus' and takes about 7 or 8 minutes to open a document or even start a new document. This is making me crazy. I can't find a solution on the Live OneCare Website. I can't find a way to tell the software to somehow ignore MS Word so that I can do my work in peace.
    Please help. I'm on the verge of looking for new anit-virus software for my home office.
    Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:09 PM

Answers

• Usually this occurs because the previous AntiVirus product didin't uninstall properly or was left on the PC, Which causes a conflict and the delays you are experiencing. Most major AntiVirus products now have special uninstaller 'clean-up' programs available to resolve this problem, including OneCare itself.

The other possiblity is that somethin simply went awry with the OneCare installation, which can usually be repaired by performing an uninstall and then re-installing OneCare. The quickest way to be sure you've covered most possible reasons for the issue is to uninstall OneCare, run the clean-up tools for both OneCare and the other old AntiVirus product, and then re-install OneCare.

A quick clue to whether the old AV is the culprit can sometimes be found by looking in the Windows Security Center. If the old product is still displayed there it's almost assuredly part of the problem, though it might still be even if it isn't.

OneCareBear

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:10 AM

All replies

• Usually this occurs because the previous AntiVirus product didin't uninstall properly or was left on the PC, Which causes a conflict and the delays you are experiencing. Most major AntiVirus products now have special uninstaller 'clean-up' programs available to resolve this problem, including OneCare itself.

The other possiblity is that somethin simply went awry with the OneCare installation, which can usually be repaired by performing an uninstall and then re-installing OneCare. The quickest way to be sure you've covered most possible reasons for the issue is to uninstall OneCare, run the clean-up tools for both OneCare and the other old AntiVirus product, and then re-install OneCare.

A quick clue to whether the old AV is the culprit can sometimes be found by looking in the Windows Security Center. If the old product is still displayed there it's almost assuredly part of the problem, though it might still be even if it isn't.

OneCareBear

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:10 AM
  • I am quite certain that this is caused by a conflict as noted by OneCareBear. If you are unable to resolve the problem, though, contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:59 PM