How can I find out, which data was changed by a specific CRM user? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

how can I find out which data was changed/created/appended by a specific CRM user, lets say in 2014. Is there a Report or something similar to find this out?

Any hint/tipp would be welcome.

Best regards
    CSN22

PS:
    In the 2nd step it might also be interesting to find out, which data was viewed by this user. Any Chance?

Viele Grüße / Best regards CSN22

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:31 AM

Answers

• The best method would be to turn on auditing for the entity and the fields you want to monitor.  This allows you to then look at the audit logs and see who changed the fields you are monitoring.  It also lets you know when the change happened, the original value for the field and the new value.  This is a historical tracking so you will see a list of changes to the record and not just the latest information.

If you decide not to use auditing, you could simply look at the modified by and modified on fields.  You can add these columns by doing an advanced find.  But his only shows the most recent action.  So really is not helpful.

There is no built in functionality to know what data the user has looked at.  However, you could possibly create an OnLoad script for each entity and form that would write to some sort of custom tracking entity which would have a field showing who the user was, what record they opened.  I don't know if there are any 3rd party products that would do this.  But this sort of idea would generate a very large number of records that would have to be purged on a regular basis to prevent your database from becoming bloated if you monitored every record users looked at.

Jason Peterson

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:28 AM