"Home Server Mini Setup has stopped working" error on vista x64 connector install RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to run WHSConnectorInstall on my x64 Vista machine and get a "Home Server Mini Setup has stopped working" error.

The log file from the install contains the following information.

[14/06/2008 07:49:13  ccc] Calling m_PartnerManager.StopServerDiscovery.

[2008/06/14 07:49:13  ccc] + CPartnerManager:Tongue TiedtopServerDiscovery
    [2008/06/14 07:49:13  ccc] - CPartnerManager:Tongue TiedtopServerDiscovery
    [14/06/2008 07:49:13  ccc] m_PartnerManager.StopServerDiscovery returns 0x8000FFFF.
    [14/06/2008 07:49:13  ccc] Calling m_PartnerManager.StartServerDiscovery.

[2008/06/14 07:49:13  ccc] + CPartnerManager:Tongue TiedtartServerDiscovery
    [2008/06/14 07:49:13  ccc] + CServerFoundSink(...)
    [2008/06/14 07:49:13  ccc] - CServerFoundSink(...)
    [2008/06/14 07:49:13  ccc]   CPartnerManager:Tongue TiedtartServerDiscovery 00000000 00DE1480
    [2008/06/14 07:49:13  ccc] - CPartnerManager:Tongue TiedtartServerDiscovery
    [14/06/2008 07:49:13  ccc] m_PartnerManager.StartServerDiscovery returns 0x0.

Any ideas?
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 6:57 AM

Answers

•  

All the crashes we investigated so far are caused by a known issue in NVIDIA firewall (nvappfilter.dll). Nothing we can do, please update your drivers to the latest version or uninstall the firewall.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:31 AM
  • That did it!  I know nvidia causes 27% of vista crashes, but shoulda known that could have been the culprit here.

I have connector installed and currently backing up!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:12 PM

All replies

• Please submit a bug on Connect. Include talq logs from your server and client.
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 1:35 PM
  •  

Exact same thing happening here...

Another fine MS product to be PROUD of.

Too bad I cant throw up a screen cap here on these boards.
    Saturday, June 14, 2008 3:25 PM
  • knappoleon

this is a beta after all, so you have to expect that there may be some problems.

Have you submitted a bug on this?

Andrew

Saturday, June 14, 2008 4:33 PM
  • I'll give you the beta argument.  But wouldn't you have hoped that enough internal testing would have been done to at least grant a trial install of the product to be tested?????

For some reason I just cant get the software to find the HP media smart.  I even tried putting the 64 bit machine on the same switch the 32 bit one is on (it works just fine)  It throws up that error message and then closes. 

Also, anyone have a tutorial on submitting bugs?

Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:30 AM
  •  knappoleon wrote:

I'll give you the beta argument.  But wouldn't you have hoped that enough internal testing would have been done to at least grant a trial install of the product to be tested?????

For some reason I just cant get the software to find the HP media smart.  I even tried putting the 64 bit machine on the same switch the 32 bit one is on (it works just fine)  It throws up that error message and then closes. 

Also, anyone have a tutorial on submitting bugs?

I would say that there had been a lot of internal testing - I for one have been testing it quite hard now since the 1st week of January, in many different builds. I have also been running with it on my production HP Media Smart server and havent had any problems connecting my 64 bit Vista Ultimate client to my WHS.

It suggests the problem may be with your specific setup, hence submitting a bug. As for a tutorial, see this post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3483872&SiteID=50

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:43 AM
  •  

Thanks for the quick and informative post!

I clicked your link and followed it to the download page for the Tool Kit as described in the thread and now I am LMAO.

I run the toolkit install and it says its not for 64 bit systems.

The irony is not lost on this one I assure you.  The tool kit to submit bugs to microsoft on 64 bit compatibility is not 64 bit compatible.  OMG pulling hair out.

Try the link out and see.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:38 AM
  • I have a screen cap if you have an email address.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:41 AM
  • The Toolkit is installed on the WHS via a client computer - just install it via the 32 bit client you said you had on your network and it will be fine.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:42 AM
  • I'll do that now. 

Just curious about something.  I have the following files in my HS Connector Software folder, do these look right?

FOLDER DOTNETFX20

FOLDER oem

FOLDER WindowsInstaller31

autorun

Install

setup

WHS Connector Help (blank help file btw once you click a help title)

WHSConnector

WHSConnector_x64

WHSConnector Install

WHSVersionUpgrade.dll

WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll

Sunday, June 15, 2008 10:10 AM
  •  knappoleon wrote:

I'll do that now. 

Just curious about something.  I have the following files in my HS Connector Software folder, do these look right?

FOLDER DOTNETFX20

FOLDER oem

FOLDER WindowsInstaller31

autorun

Install

setup

WHS Connector Help (blank help file btw once you click a help title)

WHSConnector

WHSConnector_x64

WHSConnector Install

WHSVersionUpgrade.dll

WHSVersionUpgrade_x64.dll

Yep, thats exactly the same as I have running on my HP MS box - just checked.

When the final version of PP1 is released the help file will be populated. A lot of times this is one of the last things to be done.

Andrew

Sunday, June 15, 2008 10:15 AM
  • I submitted a bug this afternoon with the toolkit on a 32 bit machine.  Im not sure if it somehow shows the connector not working on my 64 bit machine though. 

Could it be anything Ive done wrong installation wise?  Anything else I can check?

My CAB 483453612

Sunday, June 15, 2008 5:55 PM
  • You can manually ZIP the Logs and attach them to your bug report for a HOME PC that you can't get the Toolkit installed on ... below copied from one of the sticky posts in this forum...

Submitting Bugs

Every single bug you submit on Connect will require a CAB number with it. To learn how to get a CAB before you submit a bug click this link. https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8535.

For those of you that are experiencing a Toolkit issue ... fortunately there is another method.

Zip this folder and upload it with your bug.

XP machine:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Vista machine:
    %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Home Server logs:         
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

If you do not attach CAB's - the WIndows Home Server teame cannot help you. So please help us all be proactive and submit CAB's with your bug.

Thanks!

Monday, June 16, 2008 5:10 PM
  •  

Done.  Thanks for the tip on the vista log file.
    Monday, June 16, 2008 6:40 PM
  •  

All the crashes we investigated so far are caused by a known issue in NVIDIA firewall (nvappfilter.dll). Nothing we can do, please update your drivers to the latest version or uninstall the firewall.
    Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:31 AM
  • That did it!  I know nvidia causes 27% of vista crashes, but shoulda known that could have been the culprit here.

I have connector installed and currently backing up!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:12 PM