Can't access my quarantined files RRS feed

• Question

•  

I ran a scan and Live OneCare found 3 Trojans on an attached Hard Drive, but when I try to access the Quarantine section to delete then I get an error, "The virus and spyware protection service has encounted an unknown problem. Please try again later. If problem persist, contact support."

I've looked at several other thread and in the self support area to no avail. The 3 Trojans are (2) Win32/Tibs.g and (1) Win32/BHO. What can I do?

Friday, May 16, 2008 2:27 AM

Answers

• The error message you’re getting is caused by a corrupt entry in the Quarantine. You can fix this problem by deleting the contents of the “Entries” subfolder. The “Entries” subfolder is hidden, so you will first need to make sure that the “Show hidden files and folders” radio button in Folder Options (in Control Panel) is checked. For Windows XP the file path is “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\ Entries”. For Vista, I believe the file path is “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\Entries” (I don’t have access to a Vista system). If you want to examine the contents of the Quarantine, you can then restore each entry, one at a time, from the Recycle Bin. You should be able to examine and delete each restored entry in the OneCare Quarantine window, except for the corrupt one. The corrupt entry will throw up the error message. Since the error message is modal and closes the Quarantine window, you’ll then have to return to the “Entries” folder and delete the corrupt file manually. In most cases, where there is no suspicion of a false positive, it should not be necessary to examine the contents of the Quarantine.

GreginMich

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:48 PM

All replies

• The error message you’re getting is caused by a corrupt entry in the Quarantine. You can fix this problem by deleting the contents of the “Entries” subfolder. The “Entries” subfolder is hidden, so you will first need to make sure that the “Show hidden files and folders” radio button in Folder Options (in Control Panel) is checked. For Windows XP the file path is “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\ Entries”. For Vista, I believe the file path is “C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\Entries” (I don’t have access to a Vista system). If you want to examine the contents of the Quarantine, you can then restore each entry, one at a time, from the Recycle Bin. You should be able to examine and delete each restored entry in the OneCare Quarantine window, except for the corrupt one. The corrupt entry will throw up the error message. Since the error message is modal and closes the Quarantine window, you’ll then have to return to the “Entries” folder and delete the corrupt file manually. In most cases, where there is no suspicion of a false positive, it should not be necessary to examine the contents of the Quarantine.

GreginMich

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:48 PM
  • For Vistas: plug or paste "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OneCare Protection" into the search box in the start menu which will then pull up the folder "OneCare Protection". Open this folder, select the "Quarantine folder", then the "Entries folder". I then deleted all the files to the recycle bin and restored and deleted them one by one untill I came to the corrupt file, which I also deleted just as you said.  This seems to have fixed my problem!   But plugging in the path "“C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\Entries” itself does not work, you simply get "no entries match your search".

Thanx GreginMich

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 5:36 AM
  • The path in Vista is:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\Entries

However, you can't get there via Search. You open Windows Explorer and navigate to that location or paste it in the address bar of Windows Explorer. In order to paste it, you first left click the icon in the address box in Vista to highlight the existing path and then right click/paste or Ctrl-V.

-steve

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 4:37 PM
  • Although my difficulties with the info native language (ie US english) I should like to tank You for the help your replay gave to my actual problem. Regards, giggetto2
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 3:52 AM