none
Forum window formatting RRS feed

• Question

• I have my access forum set up as one of my home page tabs.  When it loads it will load with what I'm guessing is an older forum format.  If for some reason I need to reload the tab (not through refresh, but by selecting the page through my saved favorites it load a different format of the forum.  I just want to give my two cents worth of my opinion of the newer version - I don't like it - it doesn't load properly in any of my browsers.  Please see screen shots below, the upper left is a shot of the what I'm guessing is the older format, notice that it separates each thread with a line (I like it that way. It's easier to follow)  Then notice the upper right and lower screen shots - these are in what I'm guessing is the new version.  The top of the page (bottom screen shot) doesn't layout properly.  When you open a thread by clicking on the v or by clicking on the thread name the links for marking as answer, proposing as answer, edit etc. get placed right in the middle of the body of the thread - this occurs sometimes, not always, but often enough to be annoying and refreshing doesn't fix it.

For the benefit of others, please mark posts as answered or helpful when they answer or assist you in finding the answer. ___ "We came all this way to explore the Moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the Earth." - Bill Anders, Apollo 8.

Friday, October 5, 2012 3:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• The top of the page (bottom screen shot) doesn't layout properly.

[image shows social media links listed at the top]

Looks like you are missing some source.   FWIW I see all that social media stuff hidden under a single button labeled Share This.   To try to see what is going on you could use the Developer Tools (F12) and search (press Ctrl-e) for instances of  sharethis

Perhaps first you should press Ctrl-F5 or use the DT Cache, Clear browser cache for this domain... (Ctrl-d) command.

Good luck

Robert
    ---

Friday, October 5, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Looks like you are missing some source. 

---

This doesn't make sense as it only sometimes shows up this way.  Why would it only intermittently occur if I were missing source?  As far as the social media - I don't care about that - I only showed that because it is incorrectly loading, what I do care about is having the links such as reply, propose and answer, mark as answer etc. being placed overriding the bodies of the threads,

1) it makes it difficult to read the body of the thread

2) the distance in which the links are off often makes it difficult to determine which link corresponds to which thread

For the benefit of others, please mark posts as answered or helpful when they answer or assist you in finding the answer. ___ "We came all this way to explore the Moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the Earth." - Bill Anders, Apollo 8.

Friday, October 5, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Can you repro? How often does this happen? Got a link? We need to see if someone else can repro this.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:11 AM
    Owner
  • Can you repro? How often does this happen? Got a link? We need to see if someone else can repro this.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

It occurs often, but I cannot consistently reproduce it.  What link do you want?  It's just the access developer's forum.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:08 PM
  • I can't tell from the screen shots, but I suspect that the old format results when you use a TechNet url, while the new format results when you use MSDN. I agree that the new MSDN format is confusing. I hope this new format is not deployed to TechNet.

I have not experienced your problem, but often find that pages fail to load completely. When this happens elements can be out of place or missing. For me the solution is to refresh.

Finally, regarding incomplete code, I don't believe the code is local. Rather you get the code from a cache server. I definitely find my forum experience changes over time in several respects. The experience also is different for different people. My theory (which cannot be verified) is that I get code from different cache servers at different times, and the code is different.

I just had my varying forum experience problems fixed by a suggestion from a forum Administrator. In my case, I must click the Compatibilty Mode icon (at the top of my IE9 browser, next to Refresh). So my theory about bad code from a cache server is wrong. My points about TechNet vs MSDN still apply, and you may need to refresh if elements of the page are misplaced.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Can you link to the forum?

Richard maybe onto something if the same forum is available in both brandings.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:43 PM
    Owner
  • I can get this forum two ways, although the differences are not quite what I expected. From MSDN:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/threads

and from TechNet, similar but different:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/threads

When navigate through MSDN to the Access for Developers forum, I see a page that seems to have problems:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev

Changing MSDN to TechNet in the url seems to fix things:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev/threads

but notice that the url changed from http://social.technet.microsoft.com/... to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/..., which I cannot explain, even though the display is definitely different for me. The last link above may give you the same display, so change MSDN to TechNet in the url yourself.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:06 PM
  • This link is formatted the way that is comfortable for me

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/accessdev/threads

this link is the one that sometimes has issues loading

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/accessdev/

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:55 PM
  • This is definitely a bug. It seems random when it fires. But I've gotten it on the MSDN Access Dev forum: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/accessdev/

So my guess is that it randomly fires on MSDN branding.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:05 PM
    Owner
  • UPDATE: I submitted a bug request.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:14 PM
    Owner
  • Hi -suzyQ and All,

We had received Ed's request, and escalated this to engineer team for investigation.

You will be posted of any update.

Have a great day, Jundan

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:18 PM
  • UPDATE: I submitted a bug request.

Thanks!

Thank you for following up on this.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:48 PM
  • Hi -suzyQ and All,

We had received Ed's request, and escalated this to engineer team for investigation.

You will be posted of any update.

Have a great day, Jundan

Thank you as well.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 10:50 PM
  • UPDATE: Two bugs were logged...

For the Header: Bug #82573

For the CSS formatting: Bug #82574

You're welcome, Suzy!

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:52 AM
    Owner