Does Home Server software allow private folders? RRS feed

• Question

• Our small office would like to install an affordable HP MediaSmart Server LX195.    Does the MS Home Server software allow private folders?   All online support materials (including the entire HP LX195 manual) only refer to "shared folders".    HP Tech Support said it's a Microsoft software question.    Thanks for your advice.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:33 PM

All replies

• Each user defined on Windows Home Server will have a folder which (by default, others can be granted access) only he can access. Is that what you're asking? Or are you asking if you have more granular control of permissions than at the level of entire shares? If the latter, then no. You set access to a share, and Windows Home Server manages everything else.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:38 PM
  • Ken, thanks.    If I understand your reply, for each user folder the default is private, and only that user can access his backups (which is what we want).   If we want to share a folder, then permissions would need to be changed.     The online user manual for that server only refers to "sharing folders" and I could not find any reference to enabling folders as private.    

This server will primarily be used for automatic daily backups of multiple pc's, so folder by folder permissions works for us. 

Some employees would also like the ability to be able to view files within their backup folder.    Do you know if this software allows users to view files backed up on the server, and if sync is an option?    If not I presume we can add a utility (like Sync Toy, Sync Back, etc.).

Appreciate your advice.
    I'm not tech-trained, but someone has to do this stuff in the office, and I google a lot  :-)
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:56 PM
  • If I understand your reply, for each user folder the default is private, and only that user can access his backups (which is what we want).   
    Backups are a different matter to shared folders.  They are protected by the server password so anyone who has knows that password can access all backups and shared folders.  There is no way to provide user level access to particular backups.
    --
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:37 PM
  • A user's folder is just a folder in a share. When you create the user, Windows Home Server also creates the folder and sets permissions. The server administrator can then use the Windows Home Server console to modify those permissions.

Backups: Windows Home Server is a home product, consumer oriented. All backups are accessible to anyone with the password to log into the console. In addition, backups are separate from the shares on the server.

I highly recommend you review all of the documentation available through the Windows Home Server section of the Microsoft web site. You'll get a much better picture of what the product is (and isn't).

Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:39 PM
  • Today I received an email (below) from WHS support confirming flexibility of folder permissions.    Thanks for everyone's help!    Jackie

--quote:
    Hello from the Windows Home Server Marketing team. Thank you for your interest in the product!
    WHS software does allow you to have folder permissions. So per user you can assign who has access to what folders – read, write or none.
    I hope that answers your question. In future, please also check out the following resources:
    1.       FAQ – located here.
    2.       Technical questions – search through or post questions to our customer forums which are very actively monitored by our Engineers and also community enthusiasts
    3.       Product feedback or feature suggestions – email whsinfo@microsoft.com 
    Best regards,
    Satya
    --end of quote--
    Friday, March 5, 2010 7:50 PM
  • I'll note that the "folder" permissions they speak of can be set only at the share level...
    Friday, March 5, 2010 9:06 PM