Impact of strop and Starting Microsoft CRM Asynchronous Processing service RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question regarding to the async service.

We have a custom workflow which is already in the production. This workflow is changed.I need to update the workflow plugin and for this reason i need to stop Microsoft CRM Asynchronous Processing service. Update the workflow pulgin and start the async service again.

I wonder what kind of effect I would have?

1-I beleive it should authomatically resume the workflows which are already in the queue is that right?

2- Is there any other component in CRMS using teh async service which I have to be worried about?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:27 AM

Answers

• Yes you can restart the CRM async service without any issues, that is how it is designed to be. After you restart the service, it releases the custom assembly object held in cache and allows you to delete the assembly with a new one. After restarting the service it now refers to the new assemblies.

All workflow jobs resume where thay had been left. New jobs created when the service was stopped were queued and they resume as well.

HTH

Sam

MVP Dynamics CRM | www.inogic.com | http://inogic.blogspot.com | news at inogic dot com
    • Proposed as answer by Sam-Inogic Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maryam_r Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:54 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:09 AM

All replies

• Yes you can restart the CRM async service without any issues, that is how it is designed to be. After you restart the service, it releases the custom assembly object held in cache and allows you to delete the assembly with a new one. After restarting the service it now refers to the new assemblies.

All workflow jobs resume where thay had been left. New jobs created when the service was stopped were queued and they resume as well.

HTH

Sam

MVP Dynamics CRM | www.inogic.com | http://inogic.blogspot.com | news at inogic dot com
    • Proposed as answer by Sam-Inogic Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Maryam_r Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:54 PM
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 1:09 AM
  • Some additional information for you question 2,

Actually you can view the jobs that required CRM async service under setting>system job view

Example: bulk delete, duplication detection service etc.

thanks

regards,
    Toong Yang
    http://eastoceantechnical.blogspot.com/
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:14 AM
  • Thanks you so much for your fast respond. It was really helpful and to the point.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Thanks!
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:55 PM
  • Hi ,

I have another question from you.

I have a workflow plugin. I added a new custom work flow (cs file) to this plug in and rebuild the plugin.

I registered a new step for it in the devlopment environment.I exported this step and named it GetContact.XML.Zip

Now I want to deploy the change to the production:

I need to copy the workflow.dll and workflow.pdb in the assembly folder and import Myworkflow.xml.zip using plugin registeration.

It is neccessary to stop the Async service and start it again or not?

I do really appreciate your advice.

Thanks,

Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:41 PM
  • If you register in GAC or disk, yes you need to restart.

Register in database do not required to restart.

Some additional information for you:

CRM 2011 there is support for assembly versioning, which means you can have multiple versions of a assembly coexisting in the system.

workflow designer lets you select which version of assembly for a custom workflow activity you would like to use.

regards,
    Toong Yang
    http://eastoceantechnical.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Thank you so much for the reply.

I had a problem not restarting the async service with this way on the actual server as my my work flow did not kicked off.And I explain how did I perform my steps:

1-Copied Workflow.dll and Workflow.pdb in the assembly folder

2- Registered GetContactEmailAddress step(Please see the image below)

3- Imported the Workflow design using import customization and published it

4- Try to see if the workflow kicks off(It was no.  It was in the waiting mode)

5- I had to restart the Async service although my plugin was registered in the database.

It was strange because first I tested it in my VPC and I did not need to restart the async service but on the actual server I needed as teh workflow stayed in the waiting mode!!!!Once I restarted it it worked fine.

Any idea why the behaviour is different?

Friday, January 6, 2012 4:17 PM