none
About "Verify an Account" problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all:

When you created an account newly in MSDN, you cannot paste image as an attachment, why? This isn't fair (though I know you requst at "Verify Accout") but as a member active in MSDN, I think anyone who registered in the forum should have the authority to work with pasting images...ect. You cannot reguard everyone bad or suspected members who are sending something wrong to MSDN……So these normal functions cannot be banned.

As far as I see, "Verify Account" is more used to verify an account that is always sending spams or rubbish things on the MSDN and the account is reported as abuse for many times so it's locked until the account member requests to be unlocked——That looks more suitable.

Click For donating:Free Rice For the poor
    For spamming-sender issues, you can either report it at Microsoft Spamming Issue, or just find "Report Spam Here+Number" at Forum Issue;You can also find "Verify Your Account+Number" at "Forum Issue", where you can submit to be confirmed to paste links or images.
    For more things to talk about? StackOverFlow is your choice.

Friday, October 11, 2013 1:22 AM

Answers

• Actually, the count is now at Verify Your Account 7.  It would be much more useful if:

1. The sticky threads could be not made invisible if a person is viewing more than one forum on a page.

2. The "Verify Your Account" and "Report Spam Here" threads could be each a single thread that could get emptied from time to time instead of having to create new ones when they get too large (not to mention that the whole "too large" thread idea is ridiculous).

Both of these bugs should be fixed.  These are Forum Management 101 issues, but for some reason, the code that drives them is not being completely scrapped and rewritten, as it should be.  Rather it is being left in place which does nothing but generate more and more of these type of posts because people cannot find the most current iteration.  Which in effect, reduces the entire functionality of the forum in the first place.  One of the many many reason why the new forums design is broken.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Monday, October 14, 2013 6:17 PM

All replies

• I'm having a similar issue.  The post titled "What exactly does a new poster have to do to get permission to post images?" answers it, although it's near the end of the posting.

Basically you have to post more activity.  There is an alternative solution, there are posts titled "Verify Your Account [#]" where I've seen the # go up to 4, but I haven't seen 5 yet.  If you post there, theoretically they can help you.

Monday, October 14, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Actually, the count is now at Verify Your Account 7.  It would be much more useful if:

1. The sticky threads could be not made invisible if a person is viewing more than one forum on a page.

2. The "Verify Your Account" and "Report Spam Here" threads could be each a single thread that could get emptied from time to time instead of having to create new ones when they get too large (not to mention that the whole "too large" thread idea is ridiculous).

Both of these bugs should be fixed.  These are Forum Management 101 issues, but for some reason, the code that drives them is not being completely scrapped and rewritten, as it should be.  Rather it is being left in place which does nothing but generate more and more of these type of posts because people cannot find the most current iteration.  Which in effect, reduces the entire functionality of the forum in the first place.  One of the many many reason why the new forums design is broken.

Monday, October 14, 2013 6:17 PM
  • I'm pretty sure the deletion of messages from the threads wouldn't totally fix the issue, as moderators still see deleted posts and the thread would eventually get too large to load even if we can't see the posts.

As for the stickies, I'm not really sure what the best approach for this is. I generally keep each forum open in a specific tab, so I usually see the stickies. However, in the few cases where I do have multiple forums selected, the last thing I want is for the entire first page to be stickies. I've seen people suggest that they be moved to the Announcements section, which would probably work.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 12,110+ strong and growing)

Monday, October 14, 2013 7:08 PM
  • That's part of the problem - this is the only place I have seen online where a post can get "too large to load".  What is it that is being done differently here that makes this even a thing?  And why do deleted posts need to stay in some sort of moderator visible purgatory?  At least posts for "Verify My Account" and "Report Spam Here" threads...what possible reason could there be for keeping those useless posts forever?  Does the NSA want to know that ISpamLots requested a verified account in May of 2011?  Seriously?  The technical questions have a bona fide reason to live a long time.  But these posts have a useful lifetime of no more than a week at best, and usually a lot less than that.  Can't an exception be made on the deletion rules for those two threads?  It would most definitely have a positive impact on the usefulness of this entire corner of the web.

As far as stickies, I think that putting them in an announcement section would be tantamount to what they are doing now which is making them invisible.  No one will read them when they want to verify an account.  IMO the real solution is to change how an account is verified.  Again, this is Forum Management 101.  This is the 21st century and account verification is WAY easier than they are making it.  My financial institutions are less stringent.  Why can't they use a captcha?  The excuse that it is to cut down on spam is a non-starter.  It has not reduced spam IMO, it has simply made the spammers resort to different methods.  Just ask the C++ forum people who see pages of Dubai Call Girl posts all the time.  Spam management is again...Forum Management 101 and can be WAY easier than they are making it.

Monday, October 14, 2013 7:24 PM
  • Good points and I hope that they get an official response when someone from msft reads them.

Side note and completely off topic - your signature is great.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 12,110+ strong and growing)

Monday, October 14, 2013 7:41 PM

• Side note and completely off topic - your signature is great.

Glad you liked it.  :)

And yes, I'd love to see an official MS response to these points.

Monday, October 14, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Hello all:

When you created an account newly in MSDN, you cannot paste image as an attachment, why? This isn't fair (though I know you requst at "Verify Accout") but as a member active in MSDN, I think anyone who registered in the forum should have the authority to work with pasting images...ect. You cannot reguard everyone bad or suspected members who are sending something wrong to MSDN……So these normal functions cannot be banned.

As far as I see, "Verify Account" is more used to verify an account that is always sending spams or rubbish things on the MSDN and the account is reported as abuse for many times so it's locked until the account member requests to be unlocked——That looks more suitable.

For spamming-sender issues, you can either report it at Microsoft Spamming Issue, or just find "Report Spam Here+Number" at Forum Issue;You can also find "Verify Your Account+Number" at "Forum Issue", where you can submit to be confirmed to paste links or images.

That's the way it used to be, when there were hundreds of spam threads (very inappropriate) going through every few days.

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:38 PM
    Owner
  • Hello ED Price-MSFT:

Yes, but you cannot suspect everyone for the first registration as a spam-sender;)

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:08 AM
  • Hello all:

That's the way it used to be, when there were hundreds of spam threads (very inappropriate) going through every few days.

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

That's the way it still is.  Just a couple of days ago someone was complaining about the multiple pages of spam on some of the forums.  What you guys are doing here is NOT deterring or reducing spam.  All you are doing is making the spammers come up with different ways to flood the forums with crap.

Friday, October 18, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Agree Kamin!

So Microsoft I think he should change the aim of "Verify An Account" for those accounts which have been reported as "spammer's" to be re-active.

Saturday, October 19, 2013 6:48 AM