FIREWALL/NSC/NETWORK DISCOVERY SET TO CUSTOM RRS feed

• Question

•  

at THE BEGINNING when i installed 2.0 (( brand new VISTA laptop))

under THE network and sharing center sharing and discovery was in the  offfffffffffffffffffffff  position i repeeat OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ( i dont want to share files or printers or to have the a stranger pc see my files who wants that? i think is a bad feuture to have in vista if i want to share a file i save it to a disc the old way))))))))))))))))

now

I GET THIS WARNING

FOR SHARING AND DISCOVERY TO WORK PROPERLY,MAKE SURE THE SETTINGS IN YOUR FIREWALL PROGRAM MATCH THE FOLLOWING SETTINGS

SHaring and discovery is set to CUSTOM

fILE sharing ON

(((((((((( 2 green lights)))))))))))))

I hate it i dont like it i think is unsecure

((((((((((( yes IN PUBLIC MODE AND HOME MODE))))))))))))))))))))

yes i already tried to configure the firewall IN LOC  uncheck ,check,uncheck ,check all the options ,restore to defaults etC and those lights are ON all the time

--

Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:33 PM

Answers

• There's no need to apologize for literacy or computer knowledge level. The forums are here for everyone.

As I understand your question, you have File and Printer sharing off in the Windows Firewall in Vista. Once you install OneCare, it takes over the duties of the Windows Firewall, so what you see in Network and Sharing Center may not reflect your actual status. However, since your settings were to turn off discovery and prohibit file and printer sharing, OneCare should have respected this on install. To verify this, Open OneCare, click on change settings and go to the Firewall tab. The details of your status are there.

You should leave the Windows firewall off and configure the firewall settings in OneCare. As I said, the settings in the Network and Sharing Center in Vista do not reflect the status of the firewall in OneCare. If you disabled sharing and discovery in OneCare, despite what you see elsewhere, it is off. The note you see in the Sharing Center and the discrepancy presented is because the Windows firewall is off and the settings are managed elsewhere.

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 4:59 PM

All replies

•  

Thanks for the Help !
    Sunday, October 14, 2007 5:01 PM
  • There's no need to apologize for literacy or computer knowledge level. The forums are here for everyone.

As I understand your question, you have File and Printer sharing off in the Windows Firewall in Vista. Once you install OneCare, it takes over the duties of the Windows Firewall, so what you see in Network and Sharing Center may not reflect your actual status. However, since your settings were to turn off discovery and prohibit file and printer sharing, OneCare should have respected this on install. To verify this, Open OneCare, click on change settings and go to the Firewall tab. The details of your status are there.

You should leave the Windows firewall off and configure the firewall settings in OneCare. As I said, the settings in the Network and Sharing Center in Vista do not reflect the status of the firewall in OneCare. If you disabled sharing and discovery in OneCare, despite what you see elsewhere, it is off. The note you see in the Sharing Center and the discrepancy presented is because the Windows firewall is off and the settings are managed elsewhere.

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 4:59 PM
  • Steve first Thank you very much for your kind words .

Yes you are correct that was my concern.

----

If you disabled sharing and discovery in OneCare, despite what you see elsewhere, it is off. The note you see in the Sharing Center and the discrepancy presented is because the Windows firewall is off and the settings are managed elsewhere.

-steve

Ok yeah it makes sense well here in LOC everything appears to be off.

I'm going to leave it like it is then, with the vista firewall OFF besides is the only way I can have video conferences or send video  emails

I was about to erase my post because as per JimR1  MFP words it was not understandable at all , suggest me well more like order me to get my money back  of course his bad heart was unable to make sense of my inconvinience i had with LOC,

But like my gandfather says there's idiots and AH in the world  there's also good,kind and angels of GOD persons like you  that really make a diferrence and that give us the slow  people a real helping hand

Thank you very much steve

I really appreciated

Junior

Monday, October 15, 2007 5:47 PM
  •  

You're very welcome, Junior. I'm glad that it helped you understand. It can be quite confusing.

As for Jim's response, I wasn't sure what you meant in that post until I read this thread. He simply responded to you based on his understanding of your unhappiness with the product expressed in the post. It was difficult to relate the two threads together. Jim is most certainly one of the good guys, too. :-)

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 6:51 PM
  •  

Mr Boots

Thanks again I still don't like mr jim MFP.

I hope he nevers answers one of my posts again

Anyways talking about more important things what is your advise about my ports and protocols? I uncheck all of them to be sure no xbox no file and sharing ETC can be access what do you think? cuz when i click restore to defaults it checks a bunch of things i don't use at all

Thanks in advanced Mr Boots

Monday, October 15, 2007 10:37 PM
  • You're welcome. If you are using a single computer and have no need to share files or stream media, go ahead and disable everything in the firewall tab for OneCare that you recognize. If you encounter a problem with a program you want to use, check to see if opening up a blocked port of protocol fixes the problem before panicing. :-)

If your PC is behind a router, then there's really no reason to worry about the default ports as they are quite specific in their use. The router would block traffic from the outside and there is no program listening to the inbound requests even if the router passed them through.

-steve

Monday, October 15, 2007 11:47 PM
  • oK

Thanks I'm going to do that

JR

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 4:58 PM
  • Mr Boots:

on sunday  I check the firewall ( port and protocols) and i saw something I haven't seen before ( if you rememeber you told me to uncheck everything ) well there's a new item called  ONE CARE( and is in black letters ) is checked and also REMOTE DESKTOP-from local network (subnet) maybe is part of something i never uncheked but the last time I make sure everything was uncheked

The other thing is that last night around 11pm ( i was on my msn email) and  I got a pop up window from LOC that said i neeed to restart the pc becuase there's was a update and without restarting the pc i won't be protected anymore and i wasn't protected at that momement  then after searching for LOC  i couldn't find it  then i restart the pc ,open the LOC log and the update was successfully installed should i worry about this  MR boots? I have LOC for 4 months and this is the 1 time it forces me to restart the PC ((( Oh and another thing is there a way to delete the log? it takes forever to download and specially when you scroll down is in superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr slow motion and i bearly have any files in this pc  and why i have so many errors? )))

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 5:02 PM
  • The Remote Desktop Setting was likely overlooked as it should not become checked on its own. The reboot required for the update is normal for this update. It is required for updates that change some core components that are in use at the time of the update.

I'm not aware of any way to clear what you are seeing in the logs without resetting the internal database, which will cause you to need to reconfigure everything. The design is that it clears itself of the oldest information once it reaches the maximum size. I wouldn't worry about the errors being logged as it is a beta and those are typically caused by a server side issue. OneCare does tend to log a whole lot of information!

-steve

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 7:07 PM
  •  

The Remote Desktop Setting was likely overlooked as it should not become checked on its own.

No I'am 100% sure i uncheck it last time

and also did it this morning and just now and the 2 seetings the ONECARE right below network discovery and the remote desktop get checked each time i restart the pc

you din't answer me about the new ONECARE setting in bold black letters

The reboot required for the update is normal for this update. It is required for updates that change some core components that are in use at the time of the update.

ok

I'm not aware of any way to clear what you are seeing in the logs without resetting the internal database, which will cause you to need to reconfigure everything. The design is that it clears itself of the oldest information once it reaches the maximum size.

ok yeah cuz it takes forever ( there's has to be a way to delete the old info )

I wouldn't worry about the errors being logged as it is a beta and those are typically caused by a server side issue. OneCare does tend to log a whole lot of information!

-steve

Ok thanks for the help

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:21 PM
  • You're right, I overlooked the mention of the OneCare item in the ports and protocols list. I just noticed it in the new update and don't know what it is there for.

The remote desktop setting for local subnet being checked may be a bug if you disable it and it comes back after the update and after a reboot now. Can you file a bug on this? To file a bug on Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

You can also file a bug about the logs taking a long time to open and not being able to clear it manually.

-steve

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:31 AM