Installation With No Network RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had some issues with WHS 2011 becomming corrupt (and i think losing my data) as my backup drive is showing no data on it :(

Decided to take the opportunity to upgrade the motherboard to an Asus E45M1-I as it had a few extra SATA ports aswell as USB3.0

The installation started fine, however it said i couldnt install any network drivers. I popped in the Asus cd and tried to manually install them and it seemed to find the drivers and then look like it was installing them. Only to then give me an error and say the file wasn't found.

I also downloaded the driver directly from Asus and burnt it to a cd and it said the same thing.

I've got a network cable connected and the lights are lit up suggesting the onboard ethernet is working.

Is there anyway i can make it through the installation without the network and then sorting it out at a later date as it only lets me restart the installation when it gives me the error and it just leads into an annoying circle where i can't do anything.    
    Monday, September 10, 2012 2:36 PM

Answers

• You need all the files in that folder not just the .inf file. Specifically point the installer to the .inf file.

If that fails, can you be specific about the error message you receive?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Marvt74 Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:23 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 6:54 PM

All replies

• I believe you need a network connection before it will install! Have you extracted the driver files for your network card in advance? You are using the Win 7, 64-bit drivers?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, September 10, 2012 2:50 PM
  • I didn't recall needing to on my old motherboard. I'm sure that it just installed Windows defaults for them.

When you say extract the driver files in advance what do you mean? I was just navigating to the LAN folder on the disc that came with my motherboard and telling the installer to look there.

Monday, September 10, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Asus tends to have installation programs (e.g. install.exe) to install drivers. Do you have .inf files you can direct WHS2011 to during the installation.

Monday, September 10, 2012 4:01 PM
  • Ah, that may be why i can't locate the file. I'm not at home at the moment but i'll look into this when i am later. How do i extract the INF file from the installer?

I'm just browsing the install file i've downloaded on this machine but can't see an INF file

• Edited by Marvt74 Monday, September 10, 2012 4:17 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 4:15 PM
  • The package from the Asus website has the required files here:

Realtek_LAN_V5788_V6247_V746XPVistaWIN7\Lan\Win7\WIN7\64. Point the installer to rt64win7.inf in that folder.

Monday, September 10, 2012 4:39 PM
  • Thanks Phil

I dug out that single file and put it in a folder called driver (so i knew the cd was written to) on a blank cd. Pointed the installed at the folder on the cd and the same error :(

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:55 PM
  • You need all the files in that folder not just the .inf file. Specifically point the installer to the .inf file.

If that fails, can you be specific about the error message you receive?

• Marked as answer by Marvt74 Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:23 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Thats worked now. Thanks a lot for all your help. Weird that it couldn't just find it searching the top level folder.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:23 AM