Sync contacts with subfolders in outlook RRS feed

• Question

• I was surprised that after syncing my contacts to my mobile device, that only the main contact folder is synced.

I have a lot of contacts which I have categorized in a lot of subfolders.

I don't want to loose this organisation, but I need my contacts to get into my mobile device !

I paid a lot of money and both devices run on Windows, but there is no possibility to get my contacts into my device using activesync ! I found a third party software that should do the job (Pocketmirror) but then it costs me again money and what about the compatibility with the already installed activesync ?

I find that Microsoft should solve this matter quickly.

Can you contact me if a patch is available ?

Monday, March 10, 2008 11:13 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately that functionality is not available on Outlook mobile.  Maybe in time we will see more functionality added when the next version of WIndows Mobile arrives.  But for now, Pocket Mirror is a great choice for those that want that ability.

Friday, May 16, 2008 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hello. I don't work for or with Microsoft, but I have the same problem as you. I did see an add-in via Microsoft but it appeared to be for Outlook 2002. I was trying to find it again when I saw your message.

There is also something called PocketMirror (http://classic.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=18593&associateid=17)  that looks pretty good, but hard to pay more money after shelling out all the cash for a new PDA.

Good luck to you!

JW

Friday, May 16, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Unfortunately that functionality is not available on Outlook mobile.  Maybe in time we will see more functionality added when the next version of WIndows Mobile arrives.  But for now, Pocket Mirror is a great choice for those that want that ability.

Friday, May 16, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Thanks... I found the link I mentioned before (Outlook 2002 Add-in: Pocket Contact Synchronizer 1.2) and it actually looks like bad idea. I'll try PocketMirror.

Thanks again.

Friday, May 16, 2008 4:01 PM
  • I am replying to a posting that is 6 months old but maybe this will help those who want to sync subfolders in Outlook 2007 without paying for an addin from Chapura or another 3rd party provider.  I have used the Pocketmirror XT pro that Chapura provides with the Palm operating system in the past to sync subfolders of contacts.  It worked great.  I now have the Windows mobile 5.0 system on my handheld and do not relish the idea of paying again for the same functionality.  I have not tried this yet but suspect it will work.  The principal is to copy every contact from the subfolders to the main Contacts folder in outlook saving your subfolder organization as it is (except for the main folder).  Or you can copy only select subfolders you want to carry with you on your handheld.   By categorizing each contact with the categorizing functionality in Outlook 2007 before you copy all contacts from your subdirectories you will have access to the specific groups you are using on your handheld.  By naming categories with the same names as your subfolders you will stay organized on your pc as you have in the past.  The only difference is the main contacts folder will now be your library of contacts so to speak.  Too bad Microsoft has not provided this functionality as I think they should.  Maybe they would get sued or maybe they have money in Chapura... who knows but, you can bet, there is a reason they are not providing it.  If this does not work for me.. I will have to get Pocketmirror for windows mobile.  Make a backup of your outlook data files before you do this in case my speculation is inaccurate. 

Monday, September 15, 2008 7:13 PM
  • yup - has worked for me over past 18m but a real pain to have to continually upload contents of subfolders; i too had xt pro and that did work well.... politics and power....

Friday, November 7, 2008 5:54 PM
  • I'm as frustrated as the rest of you in that I have to find a support solution for my organization.  PocketMirror does work, but according to Chapura it's no longer supported by them and they do not recommend you buying it from anyone that still sells it.

So what, besides copying all subfolder contacts to the default Contacts folder, is the solution?  I can't understand why a device running Microsoft Windows Mobile OS which is trying to sync with Microsoft Exchange Server can't access contact subfolders.

It just boggles my mind that we put up with this.  Helluva way to run a software company.
    Friday, December 4, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Helluva way to run a company....  But.... It seems to be a core part of what has made Microsoft the giant it is today.  Microsoft makes a product that doesn't do everything you would like it to.  Usually for pretty cheap or even free!!!  The customers then complain which tells Microsoft which features are wanted the most and WALAAAA...  you have an upgrade available with features that should have been there to start with ! 
    But not for free my little chickadees...  "Your ideas"  now cost 3-5 hundred per license.
    ("That was My Idea..."   ..get it now!!!)
    It's been like this since MSDOS 1.0 ppl !!!!!! 
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Yes and I swore this site was broken as it wouldn't let me respond after signing in. Kept redirecting to my profile page. Don't know if I should blame MS or Firefox, but I am sure you can see where this is going.
    I really don't understand the complexity of this whole mobile device thing and why, although made in a simple package, it traps you as much as possible in conditions that might not even work for anybody. I have Outlook and also Contacts in the Windows 7 Library but almost always use my GMail directly from the website. That being said, there is no way for me to transfer my contacts that I have created and stored natively in Win 7's Contact library that Active sync will let me transfer over to my phone.
    It's bound to Outlook which already has its limitations as was discussed above which is a real bummer. If they created this aplication for business at least let it run close to being a business level easy-transfer program.
    As far as I know, we aare using currently a program designed only as far up as 6.1 mobile phones, which might be going a little too far as Wikipedia states version 6.1 is made for version 6 phones. So if the current phone system by microsoft is 6.5 than they need to upgrade their program and catch up on 3 years.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:46 AM