Port Forwarding RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone else use a Linksys WRT350N router with version 1.04.4 firmware?

I've suddenly starting having port forwarding errors, although it seems that everything is working fine.  The WHS error says "windows home server was unable to update port forwardinng for your router". 

The router has a static IP address, and I have ports 80, 443, 4125, and 49,220 manually forwarded.  I'm not sure why WHS is giving me these errors.  Any help?

P.S.  Ken, I've followed your suggestions at portfoward.com and grc.com. 
    Rick McMillion
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 7:44 PM

All replies

• Does anyone else use a Linksys WRT350N router with version 1.04.4 firmware?

I've suddenly starting having port forwarding errors, although it seems that everything is working fine.  The WHS error says "windows home server was unable to update port forwardinng for your router". 

The router has a static IP address, and I have ports 80, 443, 4125, and 49,220 manually forwarded.  I'm not sure why WHS is giving me these errors.  Any help?

P.S.  Ken, I've followed your suggestions at portfoward.com and grc.com. 
    Rick McMillion

First, you don't need port 49220 for WHS.  As for the rest, what does Shields Up! report?  Have you tried accessing your server from outside your LAN?
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 8:18 PM
  • it says that ports 80 and 443 are open, but 4125 is closed...  I show it as forwarded though, so I don't know what that's all about.

Rick McMillion
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:47 AM
  • If, at some point, you configured Windows Home Server to use UPnP for port forwarding, it will continue to do so after you've turned UPnP off in your router. You should be able to open the console, go to the Remote Access Settings page, and click Repair.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:39 PM
  • It says remote access is available, "Repair" is not available, it's gray'ed out.

I can access the WHS from the internet, that's no problem.

The only problem I'm having is all these port forwarding error messages. Normally, I just tell it to ignore the error, and it will eventually disappear, only to give me another error again later.

Rick McMillion
    Monday, June 15, 2009 4:09 PM
  • You can try unconfiguring, then reconfiguring, remote access.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 15, 2009 4:53 PM
  • Please explain, the only configure button I see is to release the current domain name.  Is there another configure screen I should go to?

Rick McMillion
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:25 PM
  • By the way, if I run the Microsoft Internet Connectivity Tool at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/results.mspx   it says that UPnP is supported.

Rick McMillion
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Please explain, the only configure button I see is to release the current domain name.  Is there another configure screen I should go to?

Rick McMillion

Try turning off Remote Access, then turning it on again.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 11:54 PM
  • ok, I did that, we'll see what happens.  When I ran the Microsoft Connectivity Tool again tonight, it's saying that UPnP is not supported, go figure.  I haven't changed anything.

After "Binging" the problem, I found several references of other folks having UPnP problems with this same router, and Linksys routers in general.  Also found a couple of references to people saying that if you turn off QOS that the UPnP would start working.  I tried that, but it didn't help.

The really strange thing is... I haven't gotten the UPnP error from the WHS for the last couple of days now.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I think I'll save up for a new N wireless router.

Rick McMillion
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:41 AM