Protocol Mismatch RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Windows Home Server.  The install went correctly and I applied all Microsoft updates including Power Pack 2.  I have two computers that I installed the connector on.  On one the install completes and I can connect to the Windows Home Server console.  However this event shows up in the Event Viewer.  On the other computer it gets the same event and comes up with the message "Installation did not finish".  Again, I can connect to the Windows Home Server console.  But on both computers I don't have the option to install the Windows Media Services connector.  It is not available on the start menu. I have searched for hours online but cannot find a resolution to this issue.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Connection
    Event ID: 1807
    Date:  7/21/2009
    Time:  8:07:19 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: CUMMING
    Description:
    Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2030.2, but partner computer SERVER uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:43 AM

Answers

• The server your client is connecting to has Power Pack 2 installed, not Power Pack 3. Do you have more than one server? Can you uninstall and then reinstall Power Pack 3 on your server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:50 PM
  • I'm actually running into the exact same problem.

Windows Home Server is the OEM System Builder version, running on equipment I built, with PP3 installed.
    The system connecting to the WHS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I installed this particular build today - I didn't seem to run into the error when I was running the RC.  

Here's the error showing up in event viewer on the Win7 system:

Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2361.0, but partner computer HOMESERVER uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established.

XML View:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="HomeServer" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="53247">1807</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>7</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-07-28T20:39:33.000000000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>621</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>DESKTOP</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>6.0.2361.0</Data>
      <Data>HOMESERVER</Data>
      <Data>6.0.2030.0</Data>
      </EventData>

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:31 AM

All replies

• I just installed Windows Home Server.  The install went correctly and I applied all Microsoft updates including Power Pack 2.  I have two computers that I installed the connector on.  On one the install completes and I can connect to the Windows Home Server console.  However this event shows up in the Event Viewer.  On the other computer it gets the same event and comes up with the message "Installation did not finish".  Again, I can connect to the Windows Home Server console.  But on both computers I don't have the option to install the Windows Media Services connector.  It is not available on the start menu. I have searched for hours online but cannot find a resolution to this issue.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Connection
    Event ID: 1807
    Date:  7/21/2009
    Time:  8:07:19 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: CUMMING
    Description:
    Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2030.2, but partner computer SERVER uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

If you logon to the server desktop and open the Console from there, what are the component numbers listed?  (Settings button, Resources tab)
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:28 AM
  • Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2030.2
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.2030.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.2030.0
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 2:49 AM
  • Daniel,
    These are the right versions. If your problem as not yet resolved;

What client OS's are you using?
    Have you tred restarting the server, then the client.
    Have you tried uninstalling, restart and then re-installen the Client Connector from "http:\\{yourservername::55000" ?

If this problem persist, please file a problem report on Microsoft Connect?

-Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:32 PM
  • Theo,

There is one Windows XP Pro client and one Windows XP Home client.

I have tried restarting the server then the client as well as uninstalling and reinstalling the connector.  Neither worked.

I am using the 120 trial version.  I would like to get it working before I buy as I have heard a lot of great things about Windows Home Server.  I tried reinstalling Windows Home Server.  I installed the connector before I applied the updates to the Home Server.  The connector install finished fine on both clients.  I then applied the updates to the Home Server.  It told me on both clients that the connector software had been updated on the server.  I clicked to apply the update.  Again, I recieved the protocal mismatch and discovery.exe error.  Because of this, I can't use Windows Media Services.  I'll file a problem report.  Please let me know if you have any ideas.  I can't seem to figure this issue out or find any forums dealing with the same issue.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:41 AM
  • I'm actually running into the exact same problem.

Windows Home Server is the OEM System Builder version, running on equipment I built, with PP3 installed.
    The system connecting to the WHS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I installed this particular build today - I didn't seem to run into the error when I was running the RC.  

Here's the error showing up in event viewer on the Win7 system:

Windows Home Server protocol mismatch. This computer uses protocol version 6.0.2361.0, but partner computer HOMESERVER uses protocol version 6.0.2030.0. A connection cannot be established.

XML View:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
      <Provider Name="HomeServer" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="53247">1807</EventID>
      <Level>2</Level>
      <Task>7</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-07-28T20:39:33.000000000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>621</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>DESKTOP</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
    - <EventData>
      <Data>6.0.2361.0</Data>
      <Data>HOMESERVER</Data>
      <Data>6.0.2030.0</Data>
      </EventData>

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:31 AM
  • The server your client is connecting to has Power Pack 2 installed, not Power Pack 3. Do you have more than one server? Can you uninstall and then reinstall Power Pack 3 on your server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Thanks, Ken. You were absolutely right. I had previously installed the Dogfood of PP3, then uninstalled that and installed the "beta" of PP3, but hadn't reset my computer yet. Doing so cleared everything up, and now it's running phenomenally.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:52 PM
  • But on both computers I don't have the option to install the Windows Media Services connector.  It is not available on the start menu. I have searched for hours online but cannot find a resolution to this issue.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!
    Daniel,

Actually, the WMS connector is only installed for Windows Media Center functionality (Windows MCE 2005, Windows Vista Home Premium or Ultimate as well as Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate). As your clients are running Windows XP Home/Professional, no Media Services Connector is available and/or needed. You can however access your media through the Windows Hoem server Shares.

I just installed Windows Home Server.  The install went correctly and I applied all Microsoft updates including Power Pack 2.  I have two computers that I installed the connector on.  On one the install completes and I can connect to the Windows Home Server console.  However this event shows up in the Event Viewer.  On the other computer it gets the same event and comes up with the message "Installation did not finish".  Again, I can connect to the Windows Home Server console.
    Must say I am not sure what to make of this?
    The entry in the event list on the protocol mismatch is partly correct as the Homeserver Console was updated to version 6.0.2030.2 (this is OK and the toolkit Connector Troubleshooter will confirm this mismatch). But it should not be listed an error in the Event list (and on my XP clients it is not) nor should it result in an connector installation error. I would allmost think that somehowe there is a problem in the version of the Client Connector installed from "http:\\{yourservername}::55000"?

Have you oevr renamed or remove the server software share? What is the creation date listed for the files in your servers "\Software\Home Server Connector Software" share for the files WHSConnector.msi and WHSConnectorInstall.exe?

Also you could try running the toolkit Connector Troubleshooter (see http:\\{yourservername}::55000).

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:14 PM