none
Live Alert language incorrect. RRS feed

• Question

• It seems when threads are posted to, Live Messenger Alerts arrive that are localized for the user that posted the reply, not to the user receiving the alert.  For example, if a user has their profile set to Spanish and they respond to a thread I get an alert with text like "Otro usuario, someone, ha contestado a un hilo de rosca que usted ha suscrito en al foro de la lengua de Visual C #" (not exactly) instead of "Another user, someone, has replied to a thread you have subscribed to in the Visual C# Language Forum".  The alert email received is localized properly.

The language used in the alerts should always be localized to the language selected in the receivers profile, not the senders.
    http://www.peterRitchie.com/blog
    Monday, August 25, 2008 3:17 PM

Answers

• Peter, I'm not sure that we store language in your forums profile. Language is rendered based on browser setting/language picker/URL.

When we set up a forum, we set a "default" language on it. Thi is meant to be the primary language the forum is tageted at, and the forum is shown to search engiens under that language. Alerts will be sent with this language as well.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:43 PM
  • Look for a fix in the next week or so...

Matt
    Monday, November 10, 2008 6:46 AM

All replies

• We have fixed this.  It will be released in a few weeks when we do our next update.  Thanks for spotting this.  The correct locale will actually be based on the forum's default.

David Waddleton
    David Waddleton
    • Marked as answer by Waddleton David Monday, August 25, 2008 5:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Peter Ritchie Friday, September 12, 2008 2:51 PM
    Monday, August 25, 2008 5:08 PM
  • >The correct locale will actually be based on the forum's default.

That I am truly grateful for as I presume it means I will be getting English language messages.

On some of the machines I use the locale of the PC is set to Finnish in order to get correct punctuation etc. So I get messages in Finnish; even KB articles in Finnish which I DON'T want. (Despite having the browser set to English location) so Peter's suggestion wouldn't help me at all and would in fact mean that I would get Finnish language messages from people with English profiles ...

(Nowadays I install software with Locale as English and manually amend the punctuation etc. which solves that problem).

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Peter, I'm not sure that we store language in your forums profile. Language is rendered based on browser setting/language picker/URL.

When we set up a forum, we set a "default" language on it. Thi is meant to be the primary language the forum is tageted at, and the forum is shown to search engiens under that language. Alerts will be sent with this language as well.
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:43 PM
  • Waddleton David said:

We have fixed this.  It will be released in a few weeks when we do our next update.  Thanks for spotting this.  The correct locale will actually be based on the forum's default.

David Waddleton

David Waddleton

David, this has not been fixed.

Mike Walsh MVP said:

>The correct locale will actually be based on the forum's default.

That I am truly grateful for as I presume it means I will be getting English language messages.

On some of the machines I use the locale of the PC is set to Finnish in order to get correct punctuation etc. So I get messages in Finnish; even KB articles in Finnish which I DON'T want. (Despite having the browser set to English location) so Peter's suggestion wouldn't help me at all and would in fact mean that I would get Finnish language messages from people with English profiles ...

(Nowadays I install software with Locale as English and manually amend the punctuation etc. which solves that problem).

Mike.  If there is a default language it's not being detected by the alerts mechanism, it's always using the language of the user who made the posts.  For example, a change to http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/csharpgeneral/thread/2afd4c63-54d5-4bcb-8a0b-1f3ac5a5bd80/ made by a user in China sends an alert about a change t http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/zh-CN/csharpgeneral/thread/2afd4c63-54d5-4bcb-8a0b-1f3ac5a5bd80/.

As you might imagine, if you don't read Chinese then going to that link is extremely difficult to navigate.

Without user's profiles containing language information or alert links going to a "default" language, then the link in the alerts is not very useful.
    http://www.peterRitchie.com/blog
    Friday, September 12, 2008 3:01 PM
  • They must have thought they had fixed it

> Posted on Wed Aug 27 2008 "It will be released in a few weeks when we do our next update."

That update has come and gone ...

(I still haven't set any alerts myself, but there was a new thread on just this problem only today.)
    Friday, September 12, 2008 4:49 PM
  • Hi,
    Is there any update on this bug or ETA for a fix?
    I just recieved an alert in wrong locale (10/29/2008).

Thanks,
    -Karel
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:43 PM
  • Look for a fix in the next week or so...

Matt
    Monday, November 10, 2008 6:46 AM