Activate Vista after P2V in Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• I recently did a physical to virtual conversion of a licensed Vista machine into Server 2008 Hyper-V. It runs extremely well, but when I start the virtual machine, it tells me I need to activate Vista. (Vista was activated on the physical machine). I then get a message that "This copy of Windows is not genuine. Do I need to obtain a separate license for the virtual instance? Thanks.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:30 PM

Answers

• Hello RichardGJones,

When you first Activate a copy of Vista on a computer, it records the computer's Hardware ID (which is only a combination of the Hardware IDs of most of the componets that make up that computer).  As time goes by, the user may add and/or replace peices of hardware which changes the computer's overall Hardware ID. Eventually the computers Hardware ID will differ substantially from the computer's original Hardware ID. When that happens, Vista is sure it is still installed on the same computer as originally and will ask to be Reactivated.

In your case, the reason why your Vista is asking to be reactivated is that you moved it from a Physical computer, with a certain Hardware ID, to a Virtual Computer with a completly different Hardware ID. 

<Note: I am not a Licensing expert and the below information should only be taken as 'my (possibly incomplete) understand of it'>

As for your Licensing Question, you didn't tell me what type of license your Vista is under (Retail, OEM or Volume) so I will try to cover all the scenarios.

Retail: A Retail License can be used on any number of computers. As long as it is used on only one computer at a time. What this means to you is if your Vista is under a Retail License and as long as your Vista is only being used on that one Virtual computer (i.e. not being used on any other computer...Physical or Virtual) then all you need to do is Reactivate and you will be good to go.  Otherwise you will need to either stop using that License on any other computers or buy an additional copy of Vista for each additional computer (Physical or Virtual) that will be running Vista. 

OEM: A OEM License can only be used on the first computer it was installed on. What this means to you is if your Vista is under an OEM License and it was originally installed on the Physical computer, it is not licensed to run on that Virtual computer. You would need a new License

Volume: I don't know this one very well, but my understanding is that you can use that Vista (simultaneously) on as may computers as you have Volume Licenses for.

I hope this helps,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:26 AM

All replies

• Hello RichardGJones,

When you first Activate a copy of Vista on a computer, it records the computer's Hardware ID (which is only a combination of the Hardware IDs of most of the componets that make up that computer).  As time goes by, the user may add and/or replace peices of hardware which changes the computer's overall Hardware ID. Eventually the computers Hardware ID will differ substantially from the computer's original Hardware ID. When that happens, Vista is sure it is still installed on the same computer as originally and will ask to be Reactivated.

In your case, the reason why your Vista is asking to be reactivated is that you moved it from a Physical computer, with a certain Hardware ID, to a Virtual Computer with a completly different Hardware ID. 

<Note: I am not a Licensing expert and the below information should only be taken as 'my (possibly incomplete) understand of it'>

As for your Licensing Question, you didn't tell me what type of license your Vista is under (Retail, OEM or Volume) so I will try to cover all the scenarios.

Retail: A Retail License can be used on any number of computers. As long as it is used on only one computer at a time. What this means to you is if your Vista is under a Retail License and as long as your Vista is only being used on that one Virtual computer (i.e. not being used on any other computer...Physical or Virtual) then all you need to do is Reactivate and you will be good to go.  Otherwise you will need to either stop using that License on any other computers or buy an additional copy of Vista for each additional computer (Physical or Virtual) that will be running Vista. 

OEM: A OEM License can only be used on the first computer it was installed on. What this means to you is if your Vista is under an OEM License and it was originally installed on the Physical computer, it is not licensed to run on that Virtual computer. You would need a new License

Volume: I don't know this one very well, but my understanding is that you can use that Vista (simultaneously) on as may computers as you have Volume Licenses for.

I hope this helps,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please vote the post as Helpful. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:26 AM
  • Hi there.. I'm trying to do a P2V of a Vista machine as well.. can you tell me how you did it? I have a complete Image backup but have not found a way to restore this inside Hyper-V
    Howard
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:39 PM