I really need an Edge server ?? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a little deployment of MOC R2 SE in the internal of my office, now i need give connection to a single external user, it has a static IP and must use the Communicator Client to access, I need a external Edge server or i can use a lot of Firewall Rules to make it connect to internal Server ??

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:39 AM

All replies

• To simple provide external access to a single client you don't need to have an Edge Server deployed.  To support basic sign-in, IM, and presence features you'll only need to port-forward traffic over 5061 to the internal OCS Front-End server.  To provde additional conferencing features and/or Enteprise Voice a host of ports would need to be opened and is where an Edge Server is highly recommended.
    Jeff Schertz, Microsoft Solutions Architect - Polycom | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:16 PM
  • You can also skip an edge server if the user is on a VPN to your network.
    - Marc LaFleur
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Hi,

If you have a VPN connectivity, You dont need an Edge server, Lync client can function well in VPN connection, I have tested.

If you dont have a VPN and want to deploy full functional, You surely need a Edge Server.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:37 AM