Windows Home Server Console Crashing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I own a Hp media smart server running windows home server console.  After recently installing squeezecenter as an add-in, whs crashes shortly after opening.  I have checked the event viewer for applications and I receive the following message.

EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 49b739c9, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 49b73949, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 system.net.webexception, P10 NIL.

I have since uninstalled squeezecenter as an add-in, using the executable to run the software instead.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Symi
    Monday, May 4, 2009 8:32 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    some add-ins have been programmed faulty in a way, that they remove also a DLL file belonging to Windows Home Server during uninstall (or could be also replacing it by an older version, if the DLL has been upgraded in the past?).
    Uninstalling .NET Framework from the server is not a good idea, since it is a core component for Windows Home Server.
    Maybe you should attempt to get in contact with the autor of the Add-In. Eventually a newer version exists, which does not show this bad behavior?
    If this is not an option, you can try to uninstall Power Pack 2 via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs after toggling show updates. Reboot the server and try to reinstall PP2 through Windows Update either from console or from Internet Explorer.
    The last option would be a server reinstall.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, May 4, 2009 2:40 PM

All replies

• What do you mean with "WHS crashing"? Does the entire server crash? Or the console only?
    If the later, does it crash after opening without doing anything, or do you click at least on Settings?
    If that action is the case, login to your server with the Remote Desktop client and check in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services on your server, if the Windows Firewall Service on your server is disabled and enable it again.
    Olaf
    Monday, May 4, 2009 10:44 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

thanks for the prompt reply.  Sorry for not being clearer, the console crashes. The full error message above relates to a .Net 2.0 runtime error. At first if you clicked on settings, the console crashes, now the console screen appears briefly and then closes, without clicking on anything.  I find that if I am running squeezecenter from the executable instead of an add-in the console behaves perfectly.  But if I uninstall squeezecenter, home server console won't open.  I have tried to uninstall .Net 2.0 using the add/remove from the control panel but i get an error essage saying the this program could not be uninstalled. Windows Firewall is enabled  when I checked, as per your suggestion.  I am a newbie regarding servers...so any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Symi
    Monday, May 4, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Hi,
    some add-ins have been programmed faulty in a way, that they remove also a DLL file belonging to Windows Home Server during uninstall (or could be also replacing it by an older version, if the DLL has been upgraded in the past?).
    Uninstalling .NET Framework from the server is not a good idea, since it is a core component for Windows Home Server.
    Maybe you should attempt to get in contact with the autor of the Add-In. Eventually a newer version exists, which does not show this bad behavior?
    If this is not an option, you can try to uninstall Power Pack 2 via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs after toggling show updates. Reboot the server and try to reinstall PP2 through Windows Update either from console or from Internet Explorer.
    The last option would be a server reinstall.
    Olaf
    Monday, May 4, 2009 2:40 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

thanks again for your answer. I will get in touch with squeezecenter support, because as you suggest, the problem is resolved once an older version of the program is installed.  Thanks for all your help

Greeting from Ireland

Many thanks/danke

Symi
    Monday, May 4, 2009 3:48 PM