Mp3 files with "corruption" or missing section at beginning RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently trying to identify a problem I am having with my mp3 library stored on my WHS with pp2. This has now happened twice and I am trying to narrow down what the cause of this could be, heres the issue:

Twice now over the past year I have had mp3 files that get a ~1 sec section chopped out of the beginning of the track. Whats particularly strange about it is its not from the exact beginning, the mp3 plays for maybe 1 second then "jumps" approx 1 second into the track. When you look at the track in audacity though the music that was between the jump is gone. I cant seem to find a pattern, not all songs from and album exhibit this behavior and it seems to cross over various bitrates and encoders. Some of them were itunes, some wmp, some purchased through amazon mp3.

The first time it happened I thought it could be the zune software, wmp, or perhaps sagetv that caused this by trying to update files and breaking them, but I have since made the share read only and it happened again! This leads me to believe there is a problem in WHS somewhere, especially since I see a similar error posted by somebody in this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/2801cab7-1155-4985-ba73-adb23639a87d/

I am not saying it HAS to be WHS, but I am at a loss here how this could happen again if the share was read only, anybody else experience something like this or have ideas for fixing it? I have run mp3val and a bunch of other tools on a file in an attempt to fix it and I have a before and after file if somebody from MS wanted to take a look.

TIA
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 5:38 PM

All replies

• I am currently trying to identify a problem I am having with my mp3 library stored on my WHS with pp2. This has now happened twice and I am trying to narrow down what the cause of this could be, heres the issue:

Twice now over the past year I have had mp3 files that get a ~1 sec section chopped out of the beginning of the track. Whats particularly strange about it is its not from the exact beginning, the mp3 plays for maybe 1 second then "jumps" approx 1 second into the track. When you look at the track in audacity though the music that was between the jump is gone. I cant seem to find a pattern, not all songs from and album exhibit this behavior and it seems to cross over various bitrates and encoders. Some of them were itunes, some wmp, some purchased through amazon mp3.

The first time it happened I thought it could be the zune software, wmp, or perhaps sagetv that caused this by trying to update files and breaking them, but I have since made the share read only and it happened again! This leads me to believe there is a problem in WHS somewhere, especially since I see a similar error posted by somebody in this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/2801cab7-1155-4985-ba73-adb23639a87d/

I am not saying it HAS to be WHS, but I am at a loss here how this could happen again if the share was read only, anybody else experience something like this or have ideas for fixing it? I have run mp3val and a bunch of other tools on a file in an attempt to fix it and I have a before and after file if somebody from MS wanted to take a look.

TIA

Were you running the Windows 7 beta at one time or are you still running it? If you're running it, it started shutting down every two hours yesterday.

Also, when you set the share to read only, did you do it in the Windows Home Server console and did you do it for all user accounts?
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 6:15 PM

TIA

Were you running the Windows 7 beta  at one time or are you still running it? If you're running it, it started shutting down every two hours yesterday.

Also, when you set the share to read only, did you do it in the Windows Home Server console and did you do it for all user accounts?
    Windows Home Server

Yes I was running win7 beta for a while and am now running the RC, not sure what the shutting down has to do with the issue I posted about? Are you saying win7 could be responsible for this? The first time this happened last year, I was running Vista...

I set them as read only in the console, I did not remote in and set permissions manually for the folder...is that how you need to do it?

Friday, July 3, 2009 7:03 PM

TIA

Were you running the Windows 7 beta  at one time or are you still running it? If you're running it, it started shutting down every two hours yesterday.

Windows Home Server

Yes I was running win7 beta for a while and am now running the RC, not sure what the shutting down has to do with the issue I posted about? Are you saying win7 could be responsible for this? The first time this happened last year, I was running Vista...

I set them as read only in the console, I did not remote in and set permissions manually for the folder...is that how you need to do it?

The shutting down is just an indication that you are running the beta and not the RC. It's not related to this issue. Please read the KB I linked to. This behavior is very similiar to a Windows 7 beta bug that was fixed with a patch and then later in the RC.  If this also occured with Vista, we would need to know the application that was used to edit the mp3 metadata and how they were accessed.

Thanks.
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, July 3, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Ok I see now, since I am not 100% clear on when these files were broken I would say its possible it was the win7 beta. Have you guys heard of any similar issues with WHS by chance? I know for a fact this happened in vista and I was never able to narrow it down. Since that time the only 2 things I could say were the same in my setuip would be WHS and Zune client software. I am using Sagetv now but I was using VMC (vista media center) previously and I find it hard to believe there would be two pieces of software with the same bug...

Just wondering if its possible it could be a WHS bug not a client app.

Thanks!
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Ok I see now, since I am not 100% clear on when these files were broken I would say its possible it was the win7 beta. Have you guys heard of any similar issues with WHS by chance? I know for a fact this happened in vista and I was never able to narrow it down. Since that time the only 2 things I could say were the same in my setuip would be WHS and Zune client software. I am using Sagetv now but I was using VMC (vista media center) previously and I find it hard to believe there would be two pieces of software with the same bug...

Just wondering if its possible it could be a WHS bug not a client app.

Thanks!

I have not seen mp3 files affected in this particular manner by Windows Home Server, usually when the file was damaged, it was completely unreadable.

If you have not done a server recovery since this happened with the Vista client, you can file a bug on Connect and include server and client CABs (from the Vista client). Please be sure to state that you saw this behavior on Vista. We will need to know that when you saw this, you did not have Windows 7 on your network.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 9:33 PM