i can't make a call between my virtual machine and my pc RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi all,

I installed OCS.

Instant messaging is working but i can't make a call between my virtual machine ad my pc.

do you know where is the problem? must i setup some telephony settings first? Is there a problem with hardware using? or with my virtual machine?

thanks

Thursday, June 28, 2007 11:27 AM

Answers

• hi all,

i installed a web cam and the communicator of my virtual machine recognized it. (i had to add usb driver to my vmware...)

But i still can't make a phone call !!

I think the virtual machine doesn't have audio adapter, and i can't add it!

It's very difficult to add hardware to a virtual machine...

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 11:36 AM
  • I saw Chad post in another thread that OCS is not supported on VMWare. I have found that installing hardware on virtual machines is hard and unreliable also. Good luck and please let us know how your testing goes..
    Friday, July 13, 2007 10:03 PM

All replies

• Can you post the error message you get when trying to make the call? If the is any..
    Thursday, June 28, 2007 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

When I implemented communicator, I went to Tools -> Setup Voice and Video...steps should be obvious from there. But I did not use a virtual machine...

Akshai

Thursday, June 28, 2007 3:06 PM
  • Are you using Virtual Server or Virtual PC?

Virtual Server does not support sound, so your install will not recognize any sound or microphone and the option to make a call will not be available.

Virtual PC can support a sound card but I have found the performance to be not very good. Also, if the virtual machine is on your PC, they will both have the same mic and speakers, so if you try to talk, it will be going through both mics and both speakers at the same time. This will give feedback and the sounds spiral out of control if you don't mute one of them.

I have not tested it with other virtualization software and do not know their behavior.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 3:47 PM
  •  Hi guys, thanks for your responses

I'm using Vmware.

-from my pc to one of the virtual machine-

When i click on the call button, there is:

"connecting cal..."

and then

" ! cannot complete the call"

-from a virtual machine to my pc-

When i click on the call button, there is:

"connecting cal..." that's it, i waited for a long time and nothing happened.

Thom Foreman-Moderator wrote:

Also, if the virtual machine is on your PC, they will both have the same mic and speakers, so if you try to talk, it will be going through both mics and both speakers at the same time.

that's interesting. Virtuals machines are on a server but i'm connected on it from my pc, it want to use the same audio hardware, maybe that's the probleme.

I should test with two differents pc.

Friday, June 29, 2007 9:27 AM
  • hi all,

i installed a web cam and the communicator of my virtual machine recognized it. (i had to add usb driver to my vmware...)

But i still can't make a phone call !!

I think the virtual machine doesn't have audio adapter, and i can't add it!

It's very difficult to add hardware to a virtual machine...

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 11:36 AM
  • I saw Chad post in another thread that OCS is not supported on VMWare. I have found that installing hardware on virtual machines is hard and unreliable also. Good luck and please let us know how your testing goes..
    Friday, July 13, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Can you give us an update on your status? Can you let us know what your current issues are and what you have done as troubleshooting?

Friday, July 27, 2007 6:12 PM