MediaServer 470 Drives Prices RRS feed

• Question

•  

What do additional drives cost for the server?  Where can they be purchased?
    Friday, December 28, 2007 5:31 AM

Answers

• Take your pick! The HP MediaSmart EX470 and EX475 servers use standard 3.5" SATA drives.

Find a good price on a SATA I or SATA II hard drive of your choice from Amazon, New Egg, Best Buy or any other retailer you like and follow the instructions that came with your server to remove a drive tray, add the drive, re-insert the tray and then add the hard drive to the storage pool with the Windows Home Server Console.

For note you can also use an external USB 2.0 or eSATA drive if you’d like... however internal SATA is the fastest and most inexpensive way to expand your storage.

Friday, December 28, 2007 5:57 AM
  • Bestbuy had the WD 1TB MyBook external drives on sale for $200cdn, I just opened that case and put the 1TB drive into the server. Picked up three of them. otherwise the cheapest I have seen the 1TB drives was for $279. The 500GB WD drives OEM go for about $100. Will use the MyBook cases with some old 320GB drives and use them as USB backups on the MSS.

Drives do not need to be screamers in the HP box as the system is not all that quick to begin with, you most likely will not gain the benefit and extra $30 for a faster drive will give you. I found that larger was the better way to go.

Panson

Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:28 AM

All replies

• Take your pick! The HP MediaSmart EX470 and EX475 servers use standard 3.5" SATA drives.

Find a good price on a SATA I or SATA II hard drive of your choice from Amazon, New Egg, Best Buy or any other retailer you like and follow the instructions that came with your server to remove a drive tray, add the drive, re-insert the tray and then add the hard drive to the storage pool with the Windows Home Server Console.

For note you can also use an external USB 2.0 or eSATA drive if you’d like... however internal SATA is the fastest and most inexpensive way to expand your storage.

Friday, December 28, 2007 5:57 AM
  • about $100-150 for a 500gb is a good price range.

I would recomend getting a drive that is the same or better then the one that is included with the system.

The 500gb drive in the system is a Seagate 500gb SATA II with 16mb cache.

You can find 500gb or 750gb drives with 32mb cache.

Friday, December 28, 2007 5:45 PM
  • This is the HD that ships with the HP EX470:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

• Average Latency: 4.16ms
    • Average Seek Time: 8.5ms
    • Average Write Time: 10ms
    • Cache: 16MB
    • Model #: ST3500630AS
    • Item #: N82E16822148136

Here is the Newest HD 500GB from Seagate with 32MB of Cache.

Newegg is one of the cheapest places that you'll find Hard Drives.
    • Original Price: $119.99
    • You Save: $10.00
    • Free 3
    • Your PriceEmbarrassed109.99

Saturday, December 29, 2007 12:11 AM
  • Bestbuy had the WD 1TB MyBook external drives on sale for $200cdn, I just opened that case and put the 1TB drive into the server. Picked up three of them. otherwise the cheapest I have seen the 1TB drives was for $279. The 500GB WD drives OEM go for about $100. Will use the MyBook cases with some old 320GB drives and use them as USB backups on the MSS.

Drives do not need to be screamers in the HP box as the system is not all that quick to begin with, you most likely will not gain the benefit and extra $30 for a faster drive will give you. I found that larger was the better way to go.

Panson

Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:28 AM