WHS connector for 64 bit system RRS feed

• Question

• Every system I have is 64 bit, and I like to use Windows Home Server connector to connect to my WHS, though I get a message that I can't install the connector. is there a link for the 64 bit connector?

Thanks
    Monday, November 24, 2008 5:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    do you have already Power Pack 1 applied to your Windows Home Server? This version contains the 64 Bit Connector software (but only for Vista clients) and can be installed either from your home server via website download from http://server:55000 or from the software share on your Windows Home Server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 24, 2008 8:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    do you have already Power Pack 1 applied to your Windows Home Server? This version contains the 64 Bit Connector software (but only for Vista clients) and can be installed either from your home server via website download from http://server:55000 or from the software share on your Windows Home Server.
    Olaf
    Monday, November 24, 2008 8:27 AM
  • There is no support for Windows XP x64; if you have that operating system then you won't be able to join them to Windows Home Server for backups. You'll still be able to access the server shares, however.

If you have Vista x64, then as Olaf has said you will need to install Power Pack 1. If you have automatic updates turned on, which you should, then it should have downloaded and installed automatically. If not, then you can start the console, click on Settings, then click on Update Now...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 24, 2008 12:18 PM
  • Is there any plans to come out with a connector for XP Pro 64? I have upgraded my system, and I don't want to go back to 32 bit. If there a plan is there a ETA on a release??
    Monday, March 16, 2009 6:23 PM
  • HisWayPA said:

Is there any plans to come out with a connector for XP Pro 64? I have upgraded my system, and I don't want to go back to 32 bit. If there a plan is there a ETA on a release??

While I cannot speak for Microsoft, I doubt, that there are any plans to invest developer time into a relatively rare installed operating system (I dont think, that there are still a lot of installations), which is already outdated in Microsofts view (and in mine also).
    Olaf
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Uh-oh.  I have THREE machines loaded with x64 XP Professional.  I may have to re-evaluate the use of WHS in my Home.  I may migrate the PC's to Windows 7, but not all at once.  I know - WHS isn't supported on Win7 machines either, so this may not be the solution for me.  Bummer.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:05 PM
  • It's likely that Windows Home Server will support Windows 7 when it's released. It's unlikely that it will ever support Windows XP x64.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:42 PM
  • And while on the topic of x64 support, let me just throw in this other really big caveat.

The Client Restore Process is 32 bit only.  This nugget of information is extremely poorly spelt out anywhere.  The default restore process of accessing the driver for the system you are restoring within the backup image will NOT work, as all these drivers are 64 bit.  You need to go and locate the 32 bit driver for your essential systems - typically storage and networking - to make the restore process work.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:33 AM