none
Formatting new hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• Please bear with me - this is probably a basic question for most, but I need help!

I bought an HP SmartServer which came installed with 2 x 500GB hard drives, with space to add two more. I duly bought two more matching drives - one to use as additional backup, the other to use as a removable drive to store in a safe location.

The backup drive more or less installed itself with no problem, but to use the other drive as removable the wizard told me that the drive needs to be formatted before it can be used.

I have no doubt that this is quite a simple operation, but my knowledge is a bit limited, especially with a server.

Can someone please help me with a step by step guide to formatting, or direct me to a site that will explain in detail?
    Andrew McC
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 11:10 AM

Answers

• Thanks Ken,

In view of your advice I think I will format the drive elsewhere.....
    Andrew McC
    • Marked as answer by Andrew McC Sunday, April 12, 2009 2:30 PM
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 2:29 PM

All replies

• The "supported" method is to temporarily connect the drive to some other computer and do it there.

The easiest thing to do, though "unsupported", is to connect to your server using remote desktop (login name is administrator, password is your console password) and do it that way. Be very careful, if you format the wrong drive you will, I promise, cause severe problems for Windows Home Server. Formatting the drive this way is pretty much the same as doing it in XP.

In general you should be extremely cautious about the use of Remote Desktop; while it gives you access to the full feature set of Windows Server 2003, there is absolutely no safety net and there are tools (like Disk Management) that can cause data loss in a heartbeat. Using Remote Desktop is "unsupported" for end users, and the warning you see when you log in that way is strongly worded for a reason. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Thanks Ken,

In view of your advice I think I will format the drive elsewhere.....
    Andrew McC
    • Marked as answer by Andrew McC Sunday, April 12, 2009 2:30 PM
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 2:29 PM