Endless Loop: Duplicated files are deleted and then again created RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Does anybody knows what can cause this problem?

On my WHS I can't use the duplication feature. I can configure it and see how the files are duplicated on other disks but after some time all file copys are removed and the duplication starts from scratch. This goes in an endless loop.

I'm using D:\shares\<share name>\ for reading and writeing but as I heard after PP1 this shouldn't make a problem.
    No file is locked 24h a day.
    I'm using NTFS Junctions for grouping the shares folders in a new manually created folder but this seems to work fine and is also only a possible file write or read to a share since the junction is created outside of the share.

I'm using WHS v1 PP3 with a AMD Phenom Quadcore with 4GB RAM and multiple SATA Disks and a SSD for SYS and D:

Everything is working (except of duplication) no errors on shares or disks.

Hope somebody can help...

Monday, August 30, 2010 8:31 AM

All replies

• Another thing to tell:

I'm backing up the DE\shares folders with CrashPlan but I think this should only read from these folders.

Monday, August 30, 2010 8:49 AM
  • Hi,
    Does anybody knows what can cause this problem?

On my WHS I can't use the duplication feature. I can configure it and see how the files are duplicated on other disks but after some time all file copys are removed and the duplication starts from scratch. This goes in an endless loop.

I'm using D:\shares\<share name>\ for reading and writeing but as I heard after PP1 this shouldn't make a problem.
    No file is locked 24h a day.
    I'm using NTFS Junctions for grouping the shares folders in a new manually created folder but this seems to work fine and is also only a possible file write or read to a share since the junction is created outside of the share.

I'm using WHS v1 PP3 with a AMD Phenom Quadcore with 4GB RAM and multiple SATA Disks and a SSD for SYS and D:

Everything is working (except of duplication) no errors on shares or disks.

Hope somebody can help...

What happens if you use your server as designed? No junction points? No attempt to defeat the discrete shares that Windows Home Server uses?

Note that if you need exactly one share (you need to consolidate all data for some reason), you can easily use only one of the shares created by the server...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 30, 2010 12:20 PM
  • That was also my first thought (using one share). The throwbacks are that I cant configure duplication for every sub folder itself. Also I think DE tries to "sort" files by share so if I use just one share all subfolders will be shuffled on all disks.

thanks for the answer!

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 8:22 AM
  • ... The throwbacks are that I cant configure duplication for every sub folder itself. ...
    True. But I'm fairly certain that your attempts to change the way DE works are causing your problems.
    ... Also I think DE tries to "sort" files by share so if I use just one share all subfolders will be shuffled on all disks.

No, DE will mix files from different shares on the same disk(s). Microsoft says that the DE disk usage algorithm prefers the disk in the storage pool with the least free space. This will tend to cluster files in the same folders on the same disks.

Overall, at this point I'm inclined to think that your attempts to manipulate DE have caused issues that won't be resolved even by removing those manipulations. That would be the first thing to try, of course: what happens if you get rid of the junctions you've created? If DE settles down, you have an answer: work within the capabilities of DE and all is well. If DE doesn't settle, you have a slightly different answer: trying to circumvent DE results in issues that require you to reinstall the OS.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:49 PM