Corrupt file Preventing Install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

This is my first post on WHS Forums so pardon any or all of my ignorance.

After going through the full initial install from the WHS DVD my machine restarts and boots to the blue Windows install screen, loads some files and then presents the following error:

'ksecdd.sys' is corrupted.
    Windows install had failed.

Press any key to restart.

I've tried re-installing twice and I still get the same error.  I file does in fact exist on the DVD and I can't understand what the problem is.  Is it a bad DVD?  Could a few minor scratches cause this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Patrick 
    Friday, November 7, 2008 1:46 AM

All replies

• pmellin said:

Hi all,

This is my first post on WHS Forums so pardon any or all of my ignorance.

After going through the full initial install from the WHS DVD my machine restarts and boots to the blue Windows install screen, loads some files and then presents the following error:

I've tried re-installing twice and I still get the same error.  I file does in fact exist on the DVD and I can't understand what the problem is.  Is it a bad DVD?  Could a few minor scratches cause this?

- Patrick 

Are you leaving the DVD in the drive until the installation is complete (when you see the Welcome screen)?  Do you see this during the first part of the installation (GUI interface) or after the first reboot (text interface)?
    Friday, November 7, 2008 1:52 AM
  • I tried booting with and without the DVD in - same result regardless.
    Friday, November 7, 2008 7:36 AM
  • pmellin said:

Hi Patrick,
    welcome to the Windows Home Server forums.
    Since the message always comes at the same file, I would consider either issues with the DVD or with the harddisk and tend to exclude RAM issues. Check if the cabling on the harddisk is properly seated and not damaged.
    Could you restart the installation from the scratch and see, if the same file gets corrupted again?
    In this case I also would tend to blame the DVD. Minor scratches, if positioned bad (parallel to the track) can cause such issues. Sometimes it would help to try another DVD drive or to burn a copy with a drive, which is still able to read the DVD properly.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, November 7, 2008 8:09 AM