none
What happens to product keys when I change them? RRS feed

• Question

• I have two Win 7 retail disc sets with activation keys.  I only have one system built so far and it has a key and tests as genuine.  I would like to test the other key so if there is any problem I can deal with it before the purchase becomes 'stale'.

Can I test the key by just changing the product key on the existing Win 7 machine?
    Does this free the original key to use on the second machine?  or after testing my new key can I then change the existing machine back to it's original key?

Anything wrong with doing this?  I just want to make sure both keys don't end up stuck to one machine preventing my second machine from activating properly when I finally get it built.

I like to keep my SW legal.

Thanks.

Friday, July 1, 2011 9:09 PM

Answers

• I have two Win 7 retail disc sets with activation keys.  I only have one system built so far and it has a key and tests as genuine.  I would like to test the other key so if there is any problem I can deal with it before the purchase becomes 'stale'.

Can I test the key by just changing the product key on the existing Win 7 machine?
    Does this free the original key to use on the second machine?  or after testing my new key can I then change the existing machine back to it's original key?

Anything wrong with doing this?  I just want to make sure both keys don't end up stuck to one machine preventing my second machine from activating properly when I finally get it built.

Thanks.

You should ONLY attempt this if:-
    1) the two packs are identical versions and editions
    2) both are Retail rather than OEM
    3) both are Full install disk sets.

assuming you satisfy the above, then you can do as you suggest.

If your packages are OEM, then disconnect from the internet before installation, and do NOT connect until you know what your position is.

Whatever the case, try and avoid Activation, until you have run the MGADiag tool and posted the results here for perusal.

If there is any doubt about the source of the packs, then return them unopened for a refund, and purchase from a reputable source.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by DBur Friday, July 1, 2011 9:33 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 9:19 PM

All replies

Thanks.

You should ONLY attempt this if:-
    1) the two packs are identical versions and editions
    2) both are Retail rather than OEM
    3) both are Full install disk sets.

assuming you satisfy the above, then you can do as you suggest.

If your packages are OEM, then disconnect from the internet before installation, and do NOT connect until you know what your position is.

Whatever the case, try and avoid Activation, until you have run the MGADiag tool and posted the results here for perusal.

If there is any doubt about the source of the packs, then return them unopened for a refund, and purchase from a reputable source.

--

• Marked as answer by DBur Friday, July 1, 2011 9:33 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Thanks, I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with the product.  If it's counterfeit it's a good one.  Both are Win7 Ult 32/64 with proper looking install discs and activation keys inside the boxes, which were sealed and labeled as expected.

What would be cool is if MS had a web page where we could input a key and get a report back on it's status.  That should be pretty easy to do.  (though maybe hackers could use that to discover unused valid keys to steal)

MGAdiag says:

Prod ID type 5 - Retail

Licensing:

Name: Windows(R) 7, Ultimate edition

desc: Windows Op Sys - Windows(R) 7, retail channel

License status: Licensed

Here is the report, I blacked out some data since I'm not sure what I should not show on the internet.  I assume this is a good report since updates and everything else is working fine.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 0
    Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-xxx
    Windows Product Key Hash: xxx
    Windows Product ID: 00426-068-3292401-86146
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.001
    ID: xxxx
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Ultimate
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{xxx}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>xxx</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-xxxxx</PKey><PID>xxx</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>xxx</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>P1.50</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="6"/><Date>20101123000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>xxx</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.1.7601.17514

Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, RETAIL channel
    Activation ID: xxx
    Application ID: xxx
    Extended PID: xxxx
    Installation ID: xxx
    Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
    Partial Product Key: RBCKM
    License Status: Licensed
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 4
    Trusted time: 7/1/2011 2:38:14 PM

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0x00000000
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 4:1:2011 11:55
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: xxxx

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table
    Windows marker version: N/A
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: N/A
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name    OEMID Value    OEMTableID Value
      APIC            112310        APIC1200
      FACP            A_M_I         OEMFACP
      SRAT            AMD           FAM_F_10
      HPET            112310        OEMHPET
      MCFG            112310        OEMMCFG
      OEMB            112310        OEMB1200
      AAFT            112310        OEMAAFT
      SSDT            A M I         POWERNOW

• Edited by DBur Friday, July 1, 2011 9:56 PM comment
    Friday, July 1, 2011 9:54 PM
  • Thanks, I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with the product.  If it's counterfeit it's a good one.  Both are Win7 Ult 32/64 with proper looking install discs and activation keys inside the boxes, which were sealed and labeled as expected.

What would be cool is if MS had a web page where we could input a key and get a report back on it's status.  That should be pretty easy to do.

MGAdiag says:

Prod ID type 5 - Retail

Licensing:

desc: Windows Op Sys - Windows(R) 7, retail channel

License status: Licensed

Here is the report, I blacked out some data since I'm not sure what I should not show on the internet.  I assume this is a good report since updates and everything else is working fine.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 0
    Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-xxx
    Windows Product Key Hash: xxx
    Windows Product ID: 00426-068-3292401-86146
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.001

Bog-standard counterfeit, I'm afraid.

Your Key is from a not-for-resale MSDN account. You need to claim an immediate refund from the vendor - do NOT accept the offer of a new key.(all they are trying to do is to get past the 45-day claims window. or avoid you sending the evidence of their crimes to the authorities)

Please read the following stickies.... .......

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/a2444f34-0aff-4f29-a8ac-67e28b0c0285

and

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/06698c46-8668-4ccd-a544-a88969265a6b

The pirates have got VERY good at this over the past few years, as the price of equipment for manufacturing the packages drops, and as factories open in less well-policed countries.

see also this post....

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinewindows7/thread/46a58748-5a64-41ff-b7f4-f6d3b47beca9

Also - have a look at this video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqNNiOM0cs

--

Friday, July 1, 2011 9:56 PM
  • You are correct.  Looking closer at my discs there is a layer that easily peals off from the hologram.

I hope I can get my money back since it's been back in march since I bought it and until now I had no indication it was bogus.  Aside from the peeling labels they look perfect, even the box printing, and included printed materials are first class.

I assume when I get a proper key I can just enter it and all will be fine and I won't need to re-install or anything like that, right?  (I spent many days getting my system all set up as I need it)

Can I downgrade to pro instead of Ultimate without loosing my installed programs?  Looking at Ult I don't think I particularly need anything it offers, and I don't want to blow any more $ than I have to.

By the way, it seems like a lot of links on those pages your reference above don't work anymore. i.e.

The latest scams....

The Rogues Gallery

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:13 AM
  • You are correct.  Looking closer at my discs there is a layer that easily peals off from the hologram.

I hope I can get my money back since it's been back in march since I bought it and until now I had no indication it was bogus.  Aside from the peeling labels they look perfect, even the box printing, and included printed materials are first class.

I assume when I get a proper key I can just enter it and all will be fine and I won't need to re-install or anything like that, right?  (I spent many days getting my system all set up as I need it)

Can I downgrade to pro instead of Ultimate without loosing my installed programs?  Looking at Ult I don't think I particularly need anything it offers, and I don't want to blow any more $ than I have to.

By the way, it seems like a lot of links on those pages your reference above don't work anymore. i.e.

The latest scams....

The Rogues Gallery

Thanks.

Thanks for flagging the dead links - I'll try and see about updating them.
    If you purchase a new Retail copy of Ultimate, then you can simply use the Change Product Key link at the bottom of the System Properties page to make your system genuine.
    If you opt for Pro, then you'll have to do a Clean/Custom install, and reinstall all your apps (you can use the WET system to transfer your settings, but I'd back up data manually if it was me )

--

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 5:14 AM
  • As a suggestion to Microsoft:

I have been using this since March and it registered fine and tested as genuine.  I can see that this could happen with an MSDN key, but it leaves me in a bad place because now due to the time past I have limited options to get my money back.

If Microsoft could notify the user as part of registration and validation that this key is for MSDN, then I would have known right away there was a problem and could have dealt with it.  This is surely simple to do, and a no-brainer if you wish to protect your honest customers.

Thanks,

David B

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:03 PM
  • As a suggestion to Microsoft:

I have been using this since March and it registered fine and tested as genuine.  I can see that this could happen with an MSDN key, but it leaves me in a bad place because now due to the time past I have limited options to get my money back.

If Microsoft could notify the user as part of registration and validation that this key is for MSDN, then I would have known right away there was a problem and could have dealt with it.  This is surely simple to do, and a no-brainer if you wish to protect your honest customers.

Thanks,

David B

Yeah - that's been suggested a few times around here - it would have to be server-side discrimination to ensure that the MSDN/TechNet and Retail are bit-identical and satisfy the Devs.

--

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 7:36 PM