How to backup WHS via cloud service? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to backup some critical data to some online services(skydrive, dropbox etc.) in case my WHS is ruined.   It will take me almost 1 month to upload 100GB data due to the limited uplink bandwidth, and hence the online backup is not a good solution for my WHS backup.

My ISP only provides FTTH with 10Mb(downstream)/512kb(upstream) to none-business users.  I am just wondering how can people from other countries to backup your WHSs? 

Can you tell me how fast can you access internet?  Many thanks!

WHS is ready!
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:53 AM

Answers

• Failing anything else, full service bank branches normally have safety deposit boxes. :)

Have that too...

The thought of placing/cycling external drives there has occured to me. :)

Highly recommended approach. With the 2.5" package external hard drives (e.g., WD Passport, Seagate GoFlex, Toshiba Convio), even the smallest standard box can hold several. I swap one for the other every six months. I'd recommend a wrapping of black conductive or dissipative pink poly bubble wrap and an ESD bag, properly closed, to protect the drive in transit and storage.

In a Worst Case Scenario--basically the house burns to the foundation or every computer in it is stolen--I'd lose six months or less (not 20 years) worth of data. Only bad thing is it takes hours to make all the backups. (I get a WinBkup for the two Vista and one Win7 machines user data as well as a copy of all the WHS shares data.) Oh, and till the drives get a lot larger you will still have to pick what goes and what doesn't.

Oh, and some credit unions have them for less than the banks.

• Edited by Dick Watson Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by LukeLuo Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:05 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:04 AM

All replies

• Much easier and quicker to back up to an external Hard Disk and rotate offsite with a second disk.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Monday, September 26, 2011 12:35 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:19 AM
  • I do considered it as a alternative solution. But it is not easy to find a secure place where I can store my backup disk.
    WHS is ready!
    Monday, September 26, 2011 1:30 PM
  • I'm using Crashplan as a cloud backup, supplementing the built in server backup.
    http://www.crashplan.com/

I think I've seen a FAQ or tip around on their site on how to use Crashplan on a "limited" Internet Connection (if I may call it that).

I've got about 62 GB backuped to them, encrypted, and when starting up the service it reported back to me some 60 days of backup before completion.
    My ISP is a Swedish domestic one and I'm paying for their "12-24 Mbit/s" connection, but due to distance to connection hub(?) I'll get around 7-10 Mbit/s.

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Failing anything else, full service bank branches normally have safety deposit boxes. :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Honestly, I don't believe the cloud is a viable alternative to traditional sneakernet as far as getting a server backup offsite goes. On a 15 Mb/s connection in the US (pretty typical cable modem speeds) the best case for restoring 1 TB of data is over 7 days. If you have a bandwidth cap, the best case becomes "never" because either your ISP cuts you off after a few hundred GB (slowing you down to cable modem speeds counts as cutting you off) or they charge you an arm and a leg for the bandwidth overage.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:07 PM

Have that too...

WHS 2011 RTM up and running, v.1 gone to meet its maker...
    Monday, September 26, 2011 7:07 PM
  • Even with my 100mbps up/down fiber here in Korea, it would still take a very long time to restore my 8TB's and growing data.  I am participating in testing 1gbps fiber for Korea Telecom and came across a surprising (not so surprising once I thought about it) fact; my hard drive(s) cannot keep up with the download speed, so I am still limited to about 100mbps for continuous data through the pipe.  Burst speeds are great, but once the buffers and caches fill, it's another story.  Sort like an airplane that has engines that can reach Mach 5, but the wings fall off at Mach 1.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Honestly, I don't believe the cloud is a viable alternative to traditional sneakernet as far as getting a server backup offsite goes. On a 15 Mb/s connection in the US (pretty typical cable modem speeds) the*best* case for restoring 1 TB of data is over 7 days. If you have a bandwidth cap, the best case becomes "never" because either your ISP cuts you off after a few hundred GB (slowing you down to cable modem speeds counts as cutting you off) or they charge you an arm and a leg for the bandwidth overage.

BullDawg
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:47 PM

Have that too...

Highly recommended approach. With the 2.5" package external hard drives (e.g., WD Passport, Seagate GoFlex, Toshiba Convio), even the smallest standard box can hold several. I swap one for the other every six months. I'd recommend a wrapping of black conductive or dissipative pink poly bubble wrap and an ESD bag, properly closed, to protect the drive in transit and storage.

In a Worst Case Scenario--basically the house burns to the foundation or every computer in it is stolen--I'd lose six months or less (not 20 years) worth of data. Only bad thing is it takes hours to make all the backups. (I get a WinBkup for the two Vista and one Win7 machines user data as well as a copy of all the WHS shares data.) Oh, and till the drives get a lot larger you will still have to pick what goes and what doesn't.

Oh, and some credit unions have them for less than the banks.

• Edited by Dick Watson Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by LukeLuo Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:05 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:04 AM
  • Even with my 100mbps up/down fiber here in Korea, it would still take a very long time to restore my 8TB's and growing data.  I am participating in testing 1gbps fiber for Korea Telecom and came across a surprising (not so surprising once I thought about it) fact; my hard drive(s) cannot keep up with the download speed, so I am still limited to about 100mbps for continuous data through the pipe.  Burst speeds are great, but once the buffers and caches fill, it's another story.  Sort like an airplane that has engines that can reach Mach 5, but the wings fall off at Mach 1.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Honestly, I don't believe the cloud is a viable alternative to traditional sneakernet as far as getting a server backup offsite goes. On a 15 Mb/s connection in the US (pretty typical cable modem speeds) the*best* case for restoring 1 TB of data is over 7 days. If you have a bandwidth cap, the best case becomes "never" because either your ISP cuts you off after a few hundred GB (slowing you down to cable modem speeds counts as cutting you off) or they charge you an arm and a leg for the bandwidth overage.

BullDawg

haha....

Some of you provide a key information——the data increase much faster than the bandwidth.   No mater how fast the internet connection we have, there are more data we need to backup.   The offline removable disk is still the main media for backup.  Thanks guys!

WHS is ready!
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:04 PM
  • You dont need a safe deposit box... just leave it with a neighbour, friend, or at your office, wherever is easiest, and change them as often as possible, and you will be much better off than leaving them somewhere secure where you will probably never bother to access.  You are taking here about the chances of your house burning to the ground AND your backup getting stolen both in the time before you have time to do anything to protect your data further after the first event.  So, if the worst case is that you go on holiday for a maximum of 2 weeks at a time, and you leave your backups in your desk at work, the chances that both the backups and your drive are destroyed whilst you are away are practically zero... unless somebody is reallly out to get you!!
    • Proposed as answer by HPNASFan Thursday, April 5, 2012 9:48 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 9:47 PM