none
Need guidance on Administering Sharepoint 2007 or 2010 Certification? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been the defacto MOSS (non-Enterprise) Admin at my company for the past few years, and I'd like to see what MS Certifications are available. My job description lead me to:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exam.aspx?ID=70-630&locale=en-us

Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm just not quite sure how this works. Does MS provide the classes and the exam? Where are the locations/dates for the classes listed? How about prices?

Also, the above link is for MOSS 2007. I haven't worked with 2010 yet. Is there an equivalent 2010 class yet? I don't know how different the 2010 CA is from 2007, but don't want to get a cert in something already perceived of as obsolete.

Thanks!

Scott

Friday, January 21, 2011 5:56 PM

Answers

• Scott,

The tests from Prometric are $125 bucks a piece, and if you buy the 5 pack of tests for $500 you save $25 off the price of the test which is a good deal, when you buy the exam pack you also get free one time retake per exam so that's like getting another $500 free...

I've been to classes at New Horizons and they've always been pretty good, and the class curriculum comes straight from Microsoft so you should get the same material regardless of what provider you have.  The individuals teaching the classes should be certified in the technology they're teaching at a minimum, if not an MCT.

r/
    john

John Wildes | Senior Enterprise Architect | United Airlines | Desktop Engineering
    • Proposed as answer by johnwildes Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by scogordo Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:39 PM

All replies

• Scott,
    Microsoft partners with Third Parties to teach the classes, and Prometric hosts the exams.  You can find testing centers at www.prometric.com

You can find classes near you here http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/classlocator.aspx  not all the classes are offered everywhere...it depends on the partners that have resources to teach classes.  I've found the best way to certification is to do the work yourself, with as many hands on books and practical experience as possible.  Classes rarely help me...unless I'm firmly grounded in the technology and I'm looking for something specific.   There are changes in the technology from 2007 to 2010 with as far as Sharepoint is concerned, the new product that replaces MOSS is SharePoint Foundation.  If you know 2007 get the 2007 certification and then start working on your 2010 experience...until the 2010 test is out. 

Having a certification is really only one piece of the puzzle...whether it is 2007 or 2010 what people look for is relevant experience.  Knowing that a 2010 certification isn't out yet...having somone who is familiar with it and certified in the previous version does matter more than someone who just says they're able to use the product.

Your mileage may vary but I would check out the links above to get started on getting to class and taking a test if that is your goal.

r/
    john

John Wildes | Senior Enterprise Architect | United Airlines | Desktop Engineering
    Friday, January 21, 2011 6:44 PM
  • Thanks John!

How much do the exams cost?

Are all the schools on the MS site teaching identical, MS-scripted classes?

I have the opportunity to take a class at Learning Tree and/or New Horizons. Has anyone taken related classes there they'd recommend?

Thanks again,

Scott

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Scott,

The tests from Prometric are $125 bucks a piece, and if you buy the 5 pack of tests for $500 you save $25 off the price of the test which is a good deal, when you buy the exam pack you also get free one time retake per exam so that's like getting another $500 free...

I've been to classes at New Horizons and they've always been pretty good, and the class curriculum comes straight from Microsoft so you should get the same material regardless of what provider you have.  The individuals teaching the classes should be certified in the technology they're teaching at a minimum, if not an MCT.

r/
    john

• Marked as answer by scogordo Tuesday, February 22, 2011 4:46 PM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 3:39 PM
  • Scott,

Check out TrainIT4Less.com they have sharepoint training at a good value

let me know what you think.

Derek Gulizia
    Monday, February 21, 2011 7:43 PM