Active X & cryptographic errors RRS feed

• Question

• Using XP Pro, and having these errors all the time. On start up XP tells me it is not a genuine copy, when it was installed by HP. Due to the control errors I cannot download the software patches which 'should' repair my pc.

Here is the Diagnostics report, hope this helps

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0069.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Cryptographic Errors Detected
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-M7Q7D-73HWV-X47HJ
    Windows Product Key Hash: V4PkRWZfIveDF5PJX0dHzaoLiEc=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2259415-37311
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {50B98B79-A01B-46E2-8D61-C4BBFF4F3740}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 5
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 103 Blocked VLK
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2920-80070002_B4D0AA8B-531-645_B4D0AA8B-531-645_B4D0AA8B-531-645_B4D0AA8B-531-645_B4D0AA8B-531-645_B4D0AA8B-531-645_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\AOL9~1.0VR\aol.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Prompt
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Allowed
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe[5.1.2600.2180]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\licdll.dll[5.1.2600.2180]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe[5.1.2600.3093]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll[5.1.2600.2180]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll[5.1.2600.3119]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\crypt32.dll[5.131.2600.2180]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll[5.1.2600.2180]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll[5.1.2600.2180]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.bin[hr = 0x80070714]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.dat[hr = 0x80070714]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\oembios.sig[hr = 0x80070714]
    File Mismatch: C:\WINDOWS\system32\syssetup.dll[5.1.2600.2180]

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{50B98B79-A01B-46E2-8D61-C4BBFF4F3740}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0069.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-X47HJ</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2259415-37311</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-484763869-57989841-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>HP Compaq nc6120 (PY505ET#ABU)</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>68DTD Ver. F.0A</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050725000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>0BD33C07018400D2</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>HP</name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>103</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>103</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>ACD7202654E586</Val><Hash>fFic3JgCreGGRxyF8uMWB4R4Jcg=</Hash><Pid>89388-707-1528066-65612</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Please help, anyone..........

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hello Mentalmazda,

Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and run the diagnostics, when it reports there are errors please click the Repair Now button and this should resolve the issues with the cryptographic errors.  However I noticed in your diagnostic report your copy of Office is not genuine as it was installed with a now blocked VLK or volume license key.

As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer and/or the Office Suite and let them know it is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Reporting piracy will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,
    Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 7:59 PM

All replies

• Hello Mentalmazda,

Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and run the diagnostics, when it reports there are errors please click the Repair Now button and this should resolve the issues with the cryptographic errors.  However I noticed in your diagnostic report your copy of Office is not genuine as it was installed with a now blocked VLK or volume license key.

As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer and/or the Office Suite and let them know it is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Reporting piracy will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,
    Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 7:59 PM
  • Thanks for your speedy reply.

I wasn't aware of the VLK for my Office, but I will have that rectified.

I tried your suggestion, and as I expected it shows there are errors and when I request it to resolve, the screen changes and tries to request an activex control, which I cannot install. Talk about a catch 22....

Where do I go from here?

Many thanks

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 8:41 PM
  • Hello,

What happens when you attempt to install the Active X control on your computer?  Are you logged in as an Administrator on this machine?  Please provide us with the exact error message including any error codes you may receive.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Hi Matt,

I am logged as the administrator, (only user).

There are no error codes or message. The screen tells me to adjust my IE security settings for activex control behavior, and shows in diagrams what should happen, ie, the pop up bar appears at the top os the screen, I don't have any bar appearing on my screen and I have adjusted my IE settings to allow activex.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Hello Mentalmazda,

I see your default web browser is AOL, are you attempting to install this while using their browser, if so this may be the reason.  Please try using Internet Explorer, I also noticed you have a older version of the WGA tool installed on your machine.. please use IE and go to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ and click Validate Windows, this should install the latest WGA tool on your machine.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 9:22 PM
  • Hi Matt

I'm using IE 6, not using the AOL browser, I figured that AOL might have been the reason, but no.

Tried as you suggested, I don't see the ActiveX dialogue box, so I try the alternate method. I press 'validate now' and a security warning box appears, I say 'run' to the file legitcheck.hta from microsoft.com.

New screen appears.

'Validation Not Completed; ActiveX Error'

[0x80080296]

The screen asks if I have administartive rights - yes I do.

The MGA requires access and is unable to communicate with the Microsoft validation servers. I press 'click here' for more troubleshooting your antivirus, antispyware, IE and firewall settings.

Now taken to a MGA - Diagnostics Site

'Start Diagnostics' yessssss please

pass the first 5 tests, but fails on the following:

Windows validation ActiveX loaded

Office validation ActiveX loaded

Validation Self-help ActiveX loaded

Press 'resolve now'

and now i'm back to the screen where i't asks to install the activex, but I can't.

I am dizzy with going round in circles

Ideas??

Iain

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Hello Iain,

Sorry to hear that did not resolve your issue, lets try to manually install the ActiveX plugin as this may resolve the issue, please follow the below steps then go back to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/ and run the diagnostics and let me know if it still fails:

1.      Click the Start button, then click “Run”

2.      Type in “iexplore http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=39204” then click ‘OK’. You will be prompted to download “LegitCheckControl.cab”.

3.      Choose Open. Once this completes, a window will open showing two files, LegitCheckControl.dll and LegitCheckControl.inf. Leave this window open for now.

4.      Click the Start button, then click “Run”

5.      Type in “system32”, then click ‘OK’. (you may need to click “show files” to allow access to this system directory.)

6.      Drag the LegitCheckControl.dll file from the window that was open into the system32 directory. If you are prompted to overwrite a file, choose ‘Yes’ to overwrite any existing file.

7.      Click the Start button, then click “Run”

8.      Type “regsvr32 LegitCheckControl.dll”, and then click ‘OK’.

9.      You should see a dialog saying “DllRegisterServer in LegitCheckControl.dll succeeded.”

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 10:38 PM
  • Hi Matt

Yes and No.

It has now passed the first 6 tests on the diagnostics test, but still won't allow me to resolve the last 2. It will not install or even show the activx control for allowing this.

I have rebooted the PC, and on boot up it still shows on the screen that this Windows is not genuine, when it was preloaded by HP, the Office was purchased by myself.

Have tried the diagnostics after reboot, but exactly the same response.

Nearly there...

iain

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:00 PM
  • Hi Matt

Update

Have tried the Microsoft Update site, but it still tries to validate my XP Pro and comes up with the same answer as before

error number 0x800b0001

Have also tried to update the IE6 to IE7, but when I try to run the installation software it tells me that

"setup could not verify the integrity of the files needed for installation. Make sure the Cryptographis service is running on this computer"

I have checked the cryptographic services and the are set to automatic and already started.

Don't know if this helps you

Iain

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:08 PM
  • Hello Iain,

Based on my research on your situation and errors you receive it sounds like you have multiple issues that may be causing problems with your validation attempts, such as IE is either corrupted or not properly configured, and/or you may be having connectivity issues that is preventing your computer to be able to fully communicate with the Microsoft servers which may be caused by a router/firewall/antispyware program.  We have attempted all the steps to resolve this issue that could have been caused by the WGA program not functioning properly and I believe this is not the issue with your validation.  I would highly suggest contacting your computer manufacturer for further support regarding this or you may open a support incident with Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/.  Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Matt Prall, MS
    WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:26 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Many thanks for your help, I will contact HP tomorrow.

Have a good day.

Iain

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:31 PM