WHS cannot backup a system after hard drive has been cloned to another drive. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Here is a potential annoyance Ive discovered. Did a search and couldnt find anything similar, so I thought I would make the suggestion here.

I bought a new Dell Studio XPS 13 laptop with a 250GB hard drive, got my computer setup the way I wanted it, then did a manual backup for the fresh install. Then, I decided to clone the existing 250GB drive to my old 500GB drive using Acronis. Everything went fine, until I tried to use WHS to make a backup. I forgot exactly the error, but WHS failed at the backup due to the new cloned 500GB drive (which does not match the old drive). So the only solution was to uninstal the WHS connector, go into WHS, delete the old computer, then reinstall the WHS connector on my Studio XP 13, and start from scratch, losing the old backups that were made on the 250GB drive.

Not too big of a deal, because most people probably dont replace their system drives that often, but I just thought I would bring it up.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:33 PM

All replies

• Here is a potential annoyance Ive discovered. Did a search and couldnt find anything similar, so I thought I would make the suggestion here.

I bought a new Dell Studio XPS 13 laptop with a 250GB hard drive, got my computer setup the way I wanted it, then did a manual backup for the fresh install. Then, I decided to clone the existing 250GB drive to my old 500GB drive using Acronis. Everything went fine, until I tried to use WHS to make a backup. I forgot exactly the error, but WHS failed at the backup due to the new cloned 500GB drive (which does not match the old drive). So the only solution was to uninstal the WHS connector, go into WHS, delete the old computer, then reinstall the WHS connector on my Studio XP 13, and start from scratch, losing the old backups that were made on the 250GB drive.

Not too big of a deal, because most people probably dont replace their system drives that often, but I just thought I would bring it up.

I know that once you use something like Ghost/True Image/etc, you might have problems backing up due to the fact that the VSS providers may get changed (search this forum for vssadmin and you'll see what I'm talking about).  However, I've never heard of simply uninstalling the connector software to fix it.
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 12:08 AM
  • You could have achieved the same effect without uninstalling the connector. You would open the console, select the computer with the changed drive, and reconfigure backups for that computer.

You had this problem because Windows Home Server identifies drives using information that's specific to that drive. When you clone a partition, you're not cloning that information, so you wind yo with a different drive that's still called "C:".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:54 PM
  • This was the only formum I could find regarding this issue.  I don't know if my problem is the same, but it is similar.  I just recently installed an Acer Home Server.  I have three computers that are connected to the server, one, a laptop, runs Vista 64 Ulitmate,  the other laptop Windows XP Pro and a desktop running XP Pro.  The XP's have service pack 3.  A few months prior to getting Windows Home Server, I cloned my desktop hard drive using Acronis True Image 11 as I was running out of space.  I went from a 250gb to a 1tb hard drive and continued backing up this drive using Acronis.  After installing my Acer Home Server and getting all my computers connected, I did a manual back up using the Windows Home Server back up.  Both laptops did fine, however the desktop, with the cloned hard drive, received an error which basically said that the back up failed due to not being able to make a snapshop of the volume image, try running chkdsk/f/r.  I did do this but to no avail.  Since this was Windows Home Server first contact with this hard drive, I didn't think reconfiguring the back would help, even though I did do that with the same results.  I am just wondering if there are any other possible fixes.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:15 PM
  • Reconfiguring backups won't help in your case, no. Rather than attach your issue (which is probably completely unrelated to the original poster's) to this one, could you please start a new thread?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:29 PM