question on error: \Device\Harddisk has bad block. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS system with 7 HDDs.  It is a 3.0 GHZ pentium 4 machine with 2 GB of RAM and I have WHS PP3 installed.  All updates are current.

I am geting errors when i attempt to do a backup clean up.  I have run repair from the backup cleanup/repair dialog page and it says everything is fine but when I again run clean up i get the error and it won't complete.

When i go to event veiw i see this error: The device, \Device\Harddisk2, has a bad block.

However, When I view disk management from the WHS console, it says all disks are healthy.

so...do i really have a bad harddrive here and if so, how can i determine which physical drive in my system corresponds to Harddisk 2 in the error message?

thanks in advance for help on this.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes, a bad block can cause problems. In this case, it may mean the loss of some or all backups, since it's affecting the backup database.

Please run chkdsk on all the drives in your server . That should help you to identify the disk with the problem.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:01 AM
  • How do I figure out which drive is \Device\Harddisk4? Is it the drive listed as disk4 in disk management? I don't know if it is a zero based enumeration. When I fire up Western Digital's diagnostic tools it numbers them 1-7 where as disc management labels them 0 - 6.

Also does chkdsk fix bad blocks or mark them to be unusable or does it mean the drive is having issues and I should think about replacing it. It is only a guess but I think this dirve with bad blocks might be what is causing my secondary ide controller to drop down to PIO mode, is that possible?

Friday, February 18, 2011 1:45 AM