Icy Dock not working on EX495 ESata port under Vail RRS feed

• Question

• No I have not entered this into Microsoft Connect.

Hooked up an Icy Dock MB561US-4S-1 to my EX495 but the OS does not see it on the ESata port. 

Per reviews this should work under WHS 1.0 with an EX495.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/07/30/review-icy-dock-mb561us-4s-1-quad-bay-storage-enclosure/ 

http://www.mediasmarthome.com/blog/entry/16101/Hands-On-Icy-Dock-MB561US-4S-1-Quad-Bay-eSATA-USB-External-Enclosure-Review/

But I wanted to see if it work under Vail.

As a guess I suspect that there is no 64 Bit ESata device driver that comes with Vail for the EX495.  My guess is based on the fact that Device Manager shows an Uninstalled driver for a Mass Storage Controller on PCI bus 2, device 0, function 0.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I might test the ESata functionality using this device under Vail on my EX495?

I realize I need to test this under WHS 1.0 but do not feel like wiping Vail just yet :)

Right now the server is backing up using the USB port on the device using 2 2TB drives and its moving along quite fast 34% done since I started typing this

Also Vail automatically installed Microsoft VHD HBA device driver software during the backup process which I think is probably normal.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:14 AM

Answers

• You need a driver which supports a port multiplier. My guess is that your guess is correct: you don't have one. If one is available, it will be from your motherboard or add-in HBA manufacturer. (Probably, though, since you have an EX49 series from HP you're out of luck on the driver front...) Failing the availability of a driver, some port multipliers make a single attached device available via eSATA, some just don't work.

In any case, it's an issue external to Vail; Microsoft is not responsible for supplying drivers for every bit of hardware known to man, or even most of them.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:55 AM

All replies

• Thought I would supply a bit more info.

CPU during the back up was 1 to 3 percent for a while and then jumped wildly between 3% and 78%  I suspect another process started but cannot be sure.

Memory hit 96% average was in the high 70's

So its obvious to me at 2GB of memory is not going to cut it.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:18 AM
  • You need a driver which supports a port multiplier. My guess is that your guess is correct: you don't have one. If one is available, it will be from your motherboard or add-in HBA manufacturer. (Probably, though, since you have an EX49 series from HP you're out of luck on the driver front...) Failing the availability of a driver, some port multipliers make a single attached device available via eSATA, some just don't work.

In any case, it's an issue external to Vail; Microsoft is not responsible for supplying drivers for every bit of hardware known to man, or even most of them.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:55 AM
  • After more research (Google).  I am not the only person running Vail on an ex495 where the ESata port does not work.

No device driver shows up for the Silicon Image SiI3531 so its a lack of driver issue. :( 

Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:57 AM
  • Server backup was at 89% for way to long so I killed it.

Then I installed the 64 bit drivers version 1.5.20.1 drivers from http://www.siliconimage.com/index.aspx

Vail added the Silicon Image SiI 3531 SATA Controller to the device manager and I started another server backup.  Its going much faster than before :)

Memory and CPU usage are again all over the place but mostly CPU is very low 1 to 20% with spikes in the 70% range

and memory is very high 97% is the average.  If and when the backup finishes I want to upgrade to 4GB of memory (next week) and try again.

Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:34 AM
  • Started server backup at around 9 pm.  Its now 7AM and backup is sill at 89%.  Disk usage on the backup drives is still increasing this is the save behavior I observed when using the USB.  I will check it again after I get home from work.
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:08 PM
  • Well guess my Vail days are rapidly comming to an end.  Added 2GB more memory today now running the computer max of 4GB.

OS system UI is much faster and so is Dashboard.  Perfmon now shows that memory maxes out at about 60% when it used to hit high 90's during backup operations.

Server backups still take a while my best guess is some voodoo in the OS.  Backups currently take only 1 2TB drive.  So when the backup is done I can remove the hot swappable drive and put it in my safe. (After I purchase some larger static bags of course)  I love the ICY DOCK :)

Friday, September 24, 2010 2:08 AM