Cleanup ICE 2.0.2 desktop RRS feed

• Question

• How do you remove the 'Popular Photosynth.net panoramas' and 'Also from Microsoft' from the ICE desktop?

A clean desktop is a happy desktop :)

Friday, February 6, 2015 12:29 AM

Answers

• I know that ICE is free, but I too would be glad to be rid of the advertisement, even if it is primarily for other MSR projects.

Although in theory I am not opposed to showing popular panoramas from Photosynth.net, I must confess that the current layout and opening the pano in a new browser window is not desirable. Far better to build HD View into ICE and open the panos in the viewer in the ICE window.

I like how popular panos are advertised on the start page and I think it's absolutely okay to redirect in a new browser window. After all, ICE is still primarily a stitching tool, not pano browser.

The ads are annoying, though. Try this little trick, it works fine for now: replace contents of %LOCALAPPDATA%\Image Composite Editor\Ads\Ads.xml with

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Advertisements>
      <Advertisement Title="" ImageUrl="" AltText="" HyperlinkUrl="" />
    </Advertisements>
    Friday, February 6, 2015 9:17 PM

All replies

• I know that ICE is free, but I too would be glad to be rid of the advertisement, even if it is primarily for other MSR projects.

Although in theory I am not opposed to showing popular panoramas from Photosynth.net, I must confess that the current layout and opening the pano in a new browser window is not desirable. Far better to build HD View into ICE and open the panos in the viewer in the ICE window.

That would also mean that anyone who has ICE installed also has HD View, which I consider important as the user experience is significantly better than the Silverlight panorama viewer or the even worse HTML5 panorama viewer.

There is no effect without a cause.

Friday, February 6, 2015 12:44 AM

I like how popular panos are advertised on the start page and I think it's absolutely okay to redirect in a new browser window. After all, ICE is still primarily a stitching tool, not pano browser.

The ads are annoying, though. Try this little trick, it works fine for now: replace contents of %LOCALAPPDATA%\Image Composite Editor\Ads\Ads.xml with

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Advertisements>
      <Advertisement Title="" ImageUrl="" AltText="" HyperlinkUrl="" />
    </Advertisements>
    Friday, February 6, 2015 9:17 PM
  • Chrysler, thanks for the tip.

Any idea where ICE would be writing these files if I installed it for all users on my PC, rather than just a single desktop account?
    It isn't in the %LOCALAPPDATA% directory on my machine.

There is no effect without a cause.

Saturday, February 7, 2015 1:08 PM
  • Any idea where ICE would be writing these files if I installed it for all users on my PC, rather than just a single desktop account?
    It isn't in the %LOCALAPPDATA% directory on my machine.
    Then just create the folder and file.
    Saturday, February 7, 2015 2:06 PM
  • That worked!

Thanks.

Saturday, February 7, 2015 2:18 PM
  • Excellent! The advertisments are gone! Creating the path under AppData\Local was the key. Ill do some testing to see if creating the path under 'Public' works for all users.

You ROCK!

Do you have solution to remove the pano links also?

Monday, February 9, 2015 6:14 PM
  • On what may be a related issue, when ICE launches without a network connection, it launches QUICK!

When I have it plugged into an isolated network (not connected to the outside world), it takes a LONG time to load. I am guessing its trying to reach out to connect to the sample pano's or other phone home issues.

Any idea on how to resolve this? If not, Ill start a new thead.

Monday, February 9, 2015 6:32 PM
  • Do you have solution to remove the pano links also?

There's no easy way to remove the Photosynth suggestions. If you really do not want to see them you could add rules to the Windows Firewall to prevent ICE from accessing photosynth.net but you'll be left with a broken empty welcome page.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:06 AM
  • ...I think it's absolutely okay to redirect in a new browser window. After all, ICE is still primarily a stitching tool, not pano browser.

I understand this thinking, but it feels broken to me... like if you authored and viewed Word docs, Excel sheets, Powerpoint slides, etc. in totally different applications. I want a single application that is capable of viewing the content which it produces and a single download to recommend to people.

I don't know what the audience is who has a need for ICE who wouldn't benefit from having HD View also installed at the same time.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:58 AM
  • Doesn't work for me in v2.0.3.  Thanks though.  Which version are/were you using?  Maybe a "downgrade" is in order.
    Sunday, March 22, 2015 10:28 PM
  • Doesn't work for me in v2.0.3.  Thanks though.  Which version are/were you using?  Maybe a "downgrade" is in order.

The above trick is no longer enough but this works for me: first overwrite Ads.xml as described above, then remove rights to change the directory, e.g. run

icacls "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Image Composite Editor\Ads" /deny *S-1-1-0:(OI)(CI)(AD)

• Edited by Chrysler Sunday, March 22, 2015 11:22 PM
    Sunday, March 22, 2015 11:21 PM
  • Their appearance on the front page detracts from the apparent usability of the program. 

==================== www.nickbailey.co.uk

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 1:15 PM