Computer not recognized, but able to access shares OK RRS feed

• Question

• The first client I connected, a Vista Ultimate box wnet perfectly, shares showed up fine, and no issues configuring the backup.  The second PC, a WinXP Pro box is able to access shares on the WHS, as well as the printer attached and shared via WHS, but is not recognized for backup purposes.  I'm even able to use the Home Server Console fine from this machine, but it just not being seen for backup purposes.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 4:57 PM

Answers

• This is a known issue and has been bugged. Thanks!
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 7:16 PM

All replies

• I noticed this too on my Laptop. When I ran the Connect CD, it setup my Laptop ok. However, logging into the WHS Console, I didn't see my Laptop on the Computers & Backup screen. It's on there now, so I'm not sure if a WHS reboot was needed, or if running the backup on my Laptop caused it to show up.

This was also odd because I joined another PC shortly after, and it showed up when I checked the WHS Console, after it had been connected.

Either way the Console itself seems a bit weird on updating.
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 5:42 PM
  • This is a known issue and has been bugged. Thanks!
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 7:16 PM
  • Yeah, mine showed up after awhile too.  At least I'm not alone!
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 9:49 PM
  • I saw this same issue. My first PC (laptop) came up just fine. My second (desktop) still isn't showing up even though I can access the shares, etc. Guess I'll wait awhile to see if it appears.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 6:08 AM
  • And to follow-up my own post...

I initiated a manual backup on the laptop and (poof!) my desktop showed up in the Console.

Friday, March 9, 2007 6:15 AM
  • I have had the same problem and then some.  If I turn one of my computers and turn it back on 1 day later, the server console shows the computer grayed out and can not connect to the computer from the console.  I can back up from the computer and access all share folders. Auto backup also will not work on the computer until I manually back it up and restart the server.  This negates the advantage of auto backups. 
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 6:15 PM