none
Compatibility/Availability of Older MS MPI Versions on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Due to a hardware malfunction, I recently had to switch computers. The new computer has Windows 10 installed on it, whereas the previous machine had Windows 7.

I've been trying to link programs on the new machine that I was able to link on the old machine. To perform the link, one of the programs requires MS MPI v3.0 (or v4.0) - that is, the third (or fourth) version of the Microsoft message passing interface. (Not the specification for MPI 3.0.) However, the new machine does not have MS MPI v3.0 (or v4.0) on it, and I can't link the programs. I've searched the Microsoft download website, and the earliest MS MPI online is v5.0. I think the new machine has MS MPI v5.0 installed on it. 

I'm not sure what this means. Would anyone be so kind as to help me answer the following questions:

1. Are MS MPI v3.0 (or v4.0) compatible with Windows 10?

2. If they are compatible, where would I download them?

3. If I installed MS MPI v3.0 on the new machine, what would that do to the installed version of MS MPI (v5.0 ?) that's already installed?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 6:32 PM

All replies

• Hello,

you can check if msmpi is installed on the machine by looking at the list of installed software at Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features. To build and run msmpi application, you would need Microsoft MPI and Microsoft MPI SDK.

If you have a code that you used to link against msmpi v3.0, you should be able to link it with msmpi v8 or msmpi v9. Download and install one of those from Microsoft download center. Normally, you cannot install earlier version of msmpi on top of later version (ie for example, you cannot install msmpi v8 if you have msmpi v9 installed), but installing later version on top of the earlier is OK. If you have a later version and still want to install earlier version, you need to first Uninstall earlier version from the system using Control Panel.

-thanks, Anna

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 11:15 PM