Windows 7 not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive crashed, so I took my laptop to a local computer shop.  I paid £80 to get it fixed. When I got home it said that windows 7 was not genuine.  I rang the shop and they told me that they have sacked the person who put it on but that is all they can do. (They are not willing to buy a genuine windows 7 to fix my problem).  What can I do?
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:08 PM

Answers

• Call your local law enforcement authorities and have them meet you at the local computer shop.  Then file a fraud complaint and the owner of the business can "tell it to the judge".
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:15 PM
  • My hard drive crashed, so I took my laptop to a local computer shop.  I paid £80 to get it fixed. When I got home it said that windows 7 was not genuine.  I rang the shop and they told me that they have sacked the person who put it on but that is all they can do. (They are not willing to buy a genuine windows 7 to fix my problem).  What can I do?

What is your machine licensed for, according to the COA sticker on the base (or in the battery compartment)?

Carey's 'solution' is all very well, but it gets you no nearer a working machine (and the UK police usually prefer nicking motorists for speeding to enforcing copyright protections). I would threaten the store with action by Trading Standards - they are the agency for this type of problem, and are quite keen on it - as well as reporting them to MS Piracy. Any decent store would have offered to reinstall the proper licensed OS for your system - even if they didn't have the full Recovery disk for that machine, they could have used a System Builder disk for the job.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:37 AM

All replies

• Call your local law enforcement authorities and have them meet you at the local computer shop.  Then file a fraud complaint and the owner of the business can "tell it to the judge".
    Carey Frisch
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:15 PM

What is your machine licensed for, according to the COA sticker on the base (or in the battery compartment)?

Carey's 'solution' is all very well, but it gets you no nearer a working machine (and the UK police usually prefer nicking motorists for speeding to enforcing copyright protections). I would threaten the store with action by Trading Standards - they are the agency for this type of problem, and are quite keen on it - as well as reporting them to MS Piracy. Any decent store would have offered to reinstall the proper licensed OS for your system - even if they didn't have the full Recovery disk for that machine, they could have used a System Builder disk for the job.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Thanks for getting back to me.  I went back to the shop today but unfortunately he is away for a week.  (Typical!)  I am going back next Monday, so wish me luck!

Thanks again for your advice.

Viv Brewer

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 3:56 PM
  • Thank you for getting back to me - I have looked on the bottom of my laptop and it is licenced for Windows 7, Pro Natl.

I went back to the shop today and the bloke is away until next week, so I am going back then and I think I will take your advice and threaten him with Trading Standards and reporting to the MS Piracy.  I hope then he will resolve the situation.

Thanks for your help,

Viv Brewer

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Hello Viv.b,

Contact your computer manufacturer's tech support or customer service to order a Recovery disc.  Then when you take the computer back to the shop, they will have the right disc to work with.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:28 PM