Large data synchronisation RRS feed

• Question

• I have used SyncToy for over 10 years to back up material alternately to 2 drives. It has always worked well.

For the last 3 days, I have been trying to synchronize the 2 drives. They contain about 1.2 TB of data. One drive is formatted NTFS, the other EXT4. They are both installed on the same Linux server. As I say, the backups on alternate days from data collected on laptops have always worked flawlessly. Because of the way the system works, the data is mostly identical on each drive, but just before trying to sync, one of the drives had a large additional dump of data into it - about 70GB.

I set up SyncToy on a laptop, pointed the left folder at one drive on the server, the right folder at the other. That was 3 days ago, and it has been crawling along ever since. It now seems to be hardly moving, and it is still at the "Looking for changes" stage.

The laptop has 8GB ram, with 3.5 GB in use, and its processor is at about 3% with occasional peaks.

The drives are mapped to the laptop as Y and Z and that is what SyncToy points at.

Am I going about this the wrong way? Are there limits on what SyncToy can do?

Should I just hit Stop, and move to something like Rsync?

Saturday, January 26, 2019 8:46 PM

All replies

• Sorry to reply to myself, but, after another 14 hours, I've decided to hit "Stop" on SyncToy. Now after a total of 4 days, it was still slowly moving from file to file, but I thought the danger of a crash was too great to risk with these backups.

I will now have to manually sort and copy files across, but this seems the only safe thing to do.

If anyone has the answer to my original questions, I'd be very grateful if they could still post here.

Sunday, January 27, 2019 12:01 PM