none
WHS v1 Server Backup Disk restore data on another PC

Question

• (TL;DR) Is there anything special about the format/layout of files/folders on a WHS v1 Server/Share backup drive or can the files/folders be accessed normally without screwing things up?

I've backed up my WHS v1 shares to an external drive using the method provided by the built-in software. My WHS v1 machine no longer boots, but I'd like to get the data off the data drives and incorporate the server/share backups from the external drive.

I've installed that external disk onto another PC and can see folders and files and the like. What I'm wondering is if these files and folders are stored in any special way (say, with hard links and/or junction points) which would cause deletion of a file in one directory to be the same as a file in other directories.

If there is no special access required (much like simply discovering the hidden files on the v1 data pool drives), then the process I have in mind for restoring the files will work. If there is special-ness ... well, yeah, it makes things harder.

Thanks for any info.

• Edited by Brad K. _ Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:46 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:45 AM

Answers

• http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whs2011/thread/f168daef-8cd8-4867-b54b-83dc9a933f6c

Start with the post from Ken on 18 July at 7:45PM and read from there.  Or read the entire thread.  Your will also see a post from me on how to use RichCopy to copy the files over.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : I've backed up my WHS v1 shares to an external drive using the method provided by the built-in software. My WHS v1 machine no longer boots, but I'd like to get the data off the data drives and incorporate the server/share backups from the external drive.
    :
    : I've installed that external disk onto another PC and can see folders and files and the like. What I'm wondering is if these files and folders are stored in any special way (say, with hard links and/or junction points) which would cause deletion of a file in one directory to be the same as a file in other directories.
    :
    : If there is no special access required (much like simply discovering the hidden files on the v1 data pool drives), then the process I have in mind for restoring the files will work. If there is special-ness ... well, yeah, it makes things harder.
    :
    : Thanks for any info.
    :
    :

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by Brad K. _ Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:23 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:46 AM

All replies

• Try reading this:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:29 AM
  • http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whs2011/thread/f168daef-8cd8-4867-b54b-83dc9a933f6c

Start with the post from Ken on 18 July at 7:45PM and read from there.  Or read the entire thread.  Your will also see a post from me on how to use RichCopy to copy the files over.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    : I've backed up my WHS v1 shares to an external drive using the method provided by the built-in software. My WHS v1 machine no longer boots, but I'd like to get the data off the data drives and incorporate the server/share backups from the external drive.
    :
    : I've installed that external disk onto another PC and can see folders and files and the like. What I'm wondering is if these files and folders are stored in any special way (say, with hard links and/or junction points) which would cause deletion of a file in one directory to be the same as a file in other directories.
    :
    : If there is no special access required (much like simply discovering the hidden files on the v1 data pool drives), then the process I have in mind for restoring the files will work. If there is special-ness ... well, yeah, it makes things harder.
    :
    : Thanks for any info.
    :
    :

BullDawg
    • Marked as answer by Brad K. _ Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:23 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:46 AM