Moving license from old machine to new netbook RRS feed

• Question

• I will be receiving a new netbook later this week.

I am interested in using a Windows Office XP Small Bus Edition license that I have abandoned on an inoperable, old machine. Software was purchased retail (not an OEM install). Will I simply be able to use the license key on the product sleeve, or can someone provide a heads up of what I will need to do?

I do not currently have an external DVD player (and it does not have an internal one), and am hoping to do everything over a network/internet (load s/w, activate s/w, etc). As a result, please let me know if I will have to use the original disks to activate the product (in which case, I need to get an external DVD player).

Thanks!
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:49 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP))
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:11 PM

Answers

• Hello Diver_M,

You mentioned that your previous Office is Office XP Small Biz.  If so, its product key is not going to work to activate any edition of Office 2007.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:52 PM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:56 PM

All replies

• Hello Diver_M,

As a general rule, full retail licenses for Office are permitted by the EULA to be moved from one computer to another.  Since the computer it is currently installed on is inoperable, you won't be able to verify whether your particlar installation's End User Licensing Agreement permits such a move until you install it on annother computer so you can read the EULA.

If you have a small network, the simplest way to install software on CD/DVD to a netbook (which typically do not come with optical drives) is to insert the installation disc into another network computer, then share that computer's optical drive out onto the network.  Assuming the netbook is up and running on the network, just use Windows Explorer/My Computer to navigate to the shared drive, find the setup file on the shared disc, and double click.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:11 AM
  • Hi Dan -

Thanks. Great suggestion on sharing the optical drive.

One last question: the netbook comes with a 60-day trial of office. Inserting the 25 character key from my old disk does not appear to work with the trial offer. Can you confirm that I have to uninstall the existing 60 day trial and then re-install from the retail disks? Presumably, there is some difference between the OEM 60-day version and the retail version that is prohibiting me from using the 25 character key...

Or is there a problem with my key? (ie, that it is locked to my old machine or something...)

Or some other shortcut you can recommend (ie, editing some reg file or something...)

Thanks again,
    Michael
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Hello Diver_M,

You mentioned that your previous Office is Office XP Small Biz.  If so, its product key is not going to work to activate any edition of Office 2007.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:52 PM
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 6:56 PM