change OEM XP PROF license to XP corporate license RRS feed

• Question

• is it possible to change the license of machines, installed with XP proffesional and using an OEM license that came with the machine to a corporate license? Right now, we have to key in the OEM number and activate it each time we re-image the machine  but we have a valid corporate license.

Thanks for the help.

Jeroen

• Moved by JeniferA Monday, October 6, 2008 5:10 PM XP Pkey question (Moved from Feedback and Comments to Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP))
    Friday, October 19, 2007 8:50 AM

Answers

• If you have a genuine Volume License (so-called corporate), then you use the Volume License installation CD.  You cannot just change the product key from OEM to VL since the licensing terms are different.

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, October 7, 2008 2:08 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2007 2:04 PM

All replies

• If you have a genuine Volume License (so-called corporate), then you use the Volume License installation CD.  You cannot just change the product key from OEM to VL since the licensing terms are different.

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Tuesday, October 7, 2008 2:08 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2007 2:04 PM
  • does this mean I have to redo the complete installation or is there a shortcut so I do not need to re-install all the software and keep all my settings?

Friday, October 19, 2007 3:41 PM
  • You'll have to make a new image using the Volume License CD.  There is no shortcut.

Friday, October 19, 2007 4:13 PM
  •  

Not sure if that's accurate - you can try a repair installation (http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#RI) with your Volume License Media - then type in your VL key. The VL files are copied over, so windows should accept the VL key. Of course this has to be done manually, so it's not really a shortcut..

Edit:

I should clarify myself - this probably isn't technicaly legal, as Carey already pointed out, the licensing terms are different. In practise though, I think it would work.
    Monday, October 22, 2007 8:40 PM
  • it is legal. If the original OEM license is legal and you have volume licensing you can do a repair install and convert from OEM to MVL XP. All your programs will be fine, no need to reinstall. You will have to get all the updates, so if you get a MVL cd with sp3 then you will have less updates to download.
    Monday, October 6, 2008 2:49 PM